Sine laws with Oblique Triangles: The Tower of Pisa

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
HOFBrINCl
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Here's the question: The leaning Tower of Pisa leans toward the south at an angle of 5.5°. On one day, its shadow was 90m long, and the angle of elevation from the tip of the shadow to the top of the tower is 32°.

Determine the slant height of the tower.

How high is the tip of the tower above the ground?

Now what I couldn't get is what is the "slant height?" I did the equation using the sine law, but then realized I had just found the length of the slant, not the height. Any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The "slant height" of a triangle is the height of one of its sloping sides, in this case the side where the leaning tower of pizza is leaning towards.

So, yes the length of the slant is the "slant height". The height of the leaning tower would be different (which was what you thought it was).