Single biggest obstacle to Earth bacteria thriving on Mars

In summary: Earth, or that life was transferred between Earth and Mars at some point in time.In summary, Earth's hardiest extremophile microorganisms may be able to survive on Mars, but the most difficult factors for them to cope with would be the lack of organic material, liquid water, and low atmospheric pressure. While some extremophiles may survive in these conditions individually, it is unlikely that a single type could withstand all of them simultaneously. However, there are some candidates such as Deinococcus radiodurans that have shown extreme resilience in hostile environments and could potentially adapt to survive on Mars. It is also possible that life may have been transferred between Earth and Mars through meteorite rocks in the past.
Comeback City said:
Let them eat cake!
The cake is a lie

Biology news on Phys.org
BenAS said:
The cake is a lie
Cake is a lie? Oh the government has got us again... :mad:

Please mark quotes clearly as such
http://www.iflscience.com/space/marine-plankton-found-surface-international-space-station/
Scientists examining samples taken from the exterior of the International Space Station (ISS) have made a rather unexpected discovery- traces of marine plankton and other microbes growing on the surface of the illuminators. What’s more, it seems they could have been living there for years.

The intriguing discovery was made after ISS cosmonauts took surface samples during a routine spacewalk around the satellite. The samples were later analyzed by high-precision equipment as part of a so-called “Test” experiment, ITAR-TASS revealed. Scientists were then able to confirm that these organisms are capable of living in space despite the hostile conditions experienced. Furthermore, some of the studies demonstrated that the organisms could even develop in the vacuum of space.

How could such plankton survive and if so could such organisms be inoculating planets such as Mars and our Moon without us knowing? Could the rovers on Mars be swamped with this plankton borne from Earth or is this plankton already in space awaiting to attach itself to satellites, ISS, and other manmade objects?

Last edited by a moderator:
They are described as 'marine plankton and other microbes', which must mean that they have been identified as known organisms found on Earth.
How they got there is puzzling, but the idea of organisms evolving in space independently of Earth, but apparently the same species seems very unlkely to me

rootone said:
the idea of organisms evolving in space independently of Earth, but apparently the same species seems very unlkely to me
It's basically as close as you can get to impossible.

infinitebubble said:
traces of marine plankton and other microbes growing on the surface of the illuminators.
infinitebubble said:
How could such plankton survive

If they are actually growing, they would need some additional chemical input (like CO2 or a carbon source and water) to build new cells.
I wonder if they could get some of that in traces from exhalations from the space station (like in urine dumps) which might condense of the ISS surface.

Comeback City said:
But can it survive without oxygen and liquid water?
It may be able to survive, but it can't eat. More from the Wikipedia article:
it uses oxygen to derive energy from organic compounds in its environment

Likes BillTre
BillTre said:
Although they go to great lengths to sterilize their Martian probes, I don't think NASA thinks they are actually sterile (nothing alive on them).
This is why they don't have their current rovers go to nearby areas where they think the ground is wet with water.
Really?
All the money and time and effort to get there, and they can't even go to the most interesting places?
Oh come on NASA seriously!
Can't they just figure a way to make it properly hygenic, how hard can it be for smart people like that?

Al_ said:
Can't they just figure a way to make it properly hygenic, how hard can it be for smart people like that?

It is unimaginably difficult. Not only is the outside of the spacecraft and rover covered in microbes, but so is every component, every nook and cranny, every cable, every wheel bearing, everything. And even if you sterilize it completely, as soon as you take it out of the chamber or wherever it is that you sterilized it to get it ready for launch, it gets contaminated all over again!

Likes phinds
The only reliable way to make something 100% microbe-free is to melt it completely.
The Viking landers were sterilized by heating the whole spacecraft . That gets rid of most microbes, but then every single component has to survive that temperature - which makes the construction more expensive. The current Mars rovers are complex even without adding such a high thermal resistance. It was decided to use weaker sterilization techniques, and to avoid the regions where life could potentially exist today.

An autoclave works pretty well, but would tends to be destructive to many materials.

Another approach might be something like vaporized hydrogen peroxide, which can be compatible with electronics but is effective at killing things. However, chemical approaches might miss out on killing particular resistant organisms and is more difficult to apply to things with lots of small intricate spaces. Seems that these could just be sealed up or encased.

A possible different approach would be sampling from a distance. One might shoot (or rocket propel) a tube attached to the rover by something like a steel line. A hatch on the tube would close upon impact (as some seafloor samplers work), capturing a sample and then reeled back to the rover. Being structurally simple and materially resistant, it could be easily sterilized by heat or chemicals (possibly even on site) in an enclosed container just prior to being shot out.

Because its shooting something out it might even qualify for military funding. :wink:

BillTre said:
An autoclave works pretty well, but would tends to be destructive to many materials.
Various thermophilic archaea can survive autoclave temperatures (for example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_121). We don't worry about them in most medical applications because they generally aren't infectious (i.e. they won't out-compete our natural fauna at 37°C), but they would absolutely be a concern for interplanetary contamination.

Don't think current. Think past. Bacteria have been around for a long time. Including those living in rocks. Mars as we now know once had liquid water. And liquid- water temperature areas. It seems to me that meteor strikes would have sent Earth bacteria laden rocks toward Mars. So I do expect within Martian rocks we will find earth-derived bacteria.,
And if self replication is the first step toward life, and self-replicating molecules can be produced in an aqueous environment with a proper electro-chemical environment, who knows what else we might find in Martian rocks!

Likes Ygggdrasil
I understand that bacteria were found on a TV camera that was returned from the Moon by one of the Apollo misions

syhprum1 said:
I understand that bacteria were found on a TV camera that was returned from the Moon by one of the Apollo misions

If true, those bacteria are almost certainly from Earth and simply contaminated the camera prior to or just after the mission.

Drakkith said:
If true, those bacteria are almost certainly from Earth and simply contaminated the camera prior to or just after the mission.
Yes, and otherwise this would've been HUGE news and the bacteria would've probably got half a dozen sponsorships and shoe contracts already

Theres a bactery called tardigrada I think it can survive on mars

Arman777 said:
Theres a bactery called tardigrada I think it can survive on mars

You mean tardigrade? It's an animal, not a bacteria, and it could probably survive on Mars in a dormant state but it would not be able to live and reproduce.

Likes BillTre and Ygggdrasil
Drakkith said:
You mean tardigrade? It's an animal, not a bacteria, and it could probably survive on Mars in a dormant state but it would not be able to live and reproduce.

Yeah,I mean that..Oh sorry I didnt much give attention that its bacteria or animal.I see

Drakkith said:
It is unimaginably difficult. Not only is the outside of the spacecraft and rover covered in microbes, but so is every component, every nook and cranny, every cable, every wheel bearing, everything. And even if you sterilize it completely, as soon as you take it out of the chamber or wherever it is that you sterilized it to get it ready for launch, it gets contaminated all over again!
Why don't they sterilise it in an orbiting chamber?

Thnigs that are too delicate like electronics can be sealed inside plastic blocks, and you just sterilise the outside.

Al_ said:
Why don't they sterilise it in an orbiting chamber?

They'd have to build one and put it in orbit for one thing. Which is costly and provides its own set of challenges. Now everything they'd have done on the ground has to be done remotely in space.

Al_ said:
Thnigs that are too delicate like electronics can be sealed inside plastic blocks, and you just sterilise the outside.

Sure, but that may add weight and complications to the design. Both of which are the last things you want when designing a remotely controlled rover that has to be launched into space and then landed on another planet. I'm sure NASA did the best they could given the very tight constraints.

water bears (or tardigrades) which are a macroscopic animal could probably survive. there probably is at least occasionally liquid water on Mars. The water bear could do what it needs to do when the water is present before it sublimates or is re-frozen. It can survive both the intense cold and heat of empty space. It can survive hard vacuum. It can survive severe radiation. I don't think it gives much of a darn about Ph or most toxins either. The primary problem would probably be getting it's food to survive to sustain it. Though possibly cannibalism for some species of tardigrade might be a temporary possibility. The problem is that the water bear would eventually starve or else be forced to permanent dormancy. You'd still need an algae or moss or lichen or fungi or other suitable food that was capable of surviving in order to create a closed life cycle/food chain for the 'bear. Otherwise the tough little tardigrade would probably just "shoot the bird" at the martian environmental challenge.

And if Mars is slightly too tough for the water bear to be able to form a closed cycle food web then the liquid water oceans of Europa and similar places would almost certainly not be.

Last edited:
Stormbringer said:
And if Mars is slightly too tough for the water bear to be able to form a closed cycle food web then the liquid water oceans of Europa and similar places would almost certainly not be.

I disagree. The tardigrade would almost certainly be unable to survive on another world. And by 'survive' I mean live and reproduce in a sustainable population, not just remain dormant. Both Mars and those other worlds have no food and little or no air and there is nothing the tardigrade can do to change this.

Likes BillTre
Here is a news article from Science magazine ow about how some tough Earth bacteria are killed pretty well by UV such would be found in sunlight on Mars.
However, bacteria could still hide in dark areas.

The question reminded me of the article that BillTree mentions, that shows how UV light is probably the largest problem on the surface. (Mind that the experiment is limited as of yet using just one hardy strain; though since it was drought resistant it should also be radiation resistant due to the copious DNA repair mechanisms.)The question is hard to answer since it maps a lot of source ecologies of thermophiles onto a lot of potential cornucopia of ecologies on Mars from the top of its atmosphere way down in the crust. The most promising current habitat would be deep in the crust, in which case any living populations would share much the same conditions as deep in our crust. Though Yggdrasil's article may point in other directions...On another matter, though I appreciate curiosity on behalf of science I also appreciate (due) diligence. Here are some curious references that a modicum of googling would have rejected:
infinitebubble said:
Interesting... there were meteorite rocks with bacteria found within these rocks blasted from Mars during a strike from a meteor long ago.See: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lpi/meteorites/The_Meteorite.shtml
The modern consensus is that it was neither nano-cells (too small to be anything like "bacteria") nor fossil remains of them. Every property found has an abiotic explanation. [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Hills_84001 ]
infinitebubble said:
There are - as far as I know - no peer review articles that has shown any such data.
syhprum1 said:
Due to failures of protocol lab contamination after opening the camera cannot be excluded and is the most likely explanation. [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reports_of_Streptococcus_mitis_on_the_Moon ]