1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single conservative force acting on a particle

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2015-10-25_16-55-4.png

2. Relevant equations
    U(final)(x)= (-) Integral F dx + U(initial)
    Integration from (x-initial to x-final)

3. The attempt at a solution

U(final)(x)= (-) integral (-Ax+Bx^2)dx

Not sure on limits of integration

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have to start the integration at a place where U is known. What place is that?

If you want to give the value of U at location coordinate x, what is the upper limit of integration?

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3
    Not sure. Lower = 0. upper x=2.00 & x=3.00?

5. Oct 25, 2015 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was referring to part (a). There is no 2.00 or 3.00 in part (a). Once you have solved part (a), part (b) is just a question of substitution and subtraction.
    I think you may be confusing yourself by mislabelling your integration variables.
    You wrote:

U(final)(x)= (-) Integral F dx + U(initial)

That can't be right because the LHS depends on X while the RHS does not. By using x as the integration variable you make it disappear once the integral is taken. Instead use y as your integration variable and x as one of your limits of integration. Which one?

6. Oct 25, 2015 #5
    So, my potential energy function is U(x) = (-) integral F dx = (-) integral (-Ax+Bx^2) dx = 1/2Ax^2 + 1/3 BX^3

U=0 @ x=0

Though I am seeing this as a lower limit

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted