1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Single-slit diffraction diffraction pattern

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A single slit forms a diffraction pattern with monochromatic light. The 6th minimum of the
    pattern occurs at an angle of 23° from the central maximum. The number of bright bands on
    either side of the central band is closest to:
    A) 16 B) 13 C) 14 D) 15 E) 17

2. Relevant equations
    asin(theta)=mlambda

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly I have no idea how to do this. Using the data given, I can only set up one equation with 2 unknowns, which is impossible to solve. On top of that I am unable to deduce a relationship between maxima and minima in a single-slit diffraction. I hope someone would throw me some light on this, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

There is a formula governing the angle to each minimum which is something like

sin θ = (n) λ/W

where is the wavelength of light, and W is the width of the slit, and n is a count of the number of the minimum - so would be 6 here; for the 6th minimum.

Your formula looks like a transformation of that to W sin θ = (n)λ

Anyhow, once you have established the value of λ/W, you can work out the maximum value of (n) - since the sinθ has a maximum value of 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook