Single-slit diffraction equations

In summary, the conversation discussed the single slit diffraction pattern and its relationship to intensity and wavelength of light used. The formula for calculating the intensity at different angles was provided as well as a reference to a physics textbook for more information. It was also noted that dark fringes indicate zero intensity while bright fringes indicate maximum intensity. The conversation also touched on the relationship between diffraction and interference.
AznBoi
Please tell me what I need to know and what equations I need to use for these type of problems. Please define the variables in the equations too. Thanks.

-Sketch or identify the intensity patteren that results when monochromatic waves pass through a single slit and fall on a distant screen, and describe how this pattern will change if the slit width or the wavelength of the waves is changed and Calculate for a single-slit pattern, the angles or the positions on a distance screen where the intensity is zero.

What is intensity? Is it where the maximas (bright frindges) are? Is there zero intensity where there is a minima (dark fridge)?

I don't know if this is the right equation to use for the objective above:
[tex]sin \theta_{dark}=\frac{m\lambda}{a}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the reason why I'm confused because it is not like diffraction/interference with a double-slit since the equation used in a double-slit actually gives you the position of the bright and dark frindges (places where the waves interefere constructively and destructively) while the single slit equation can only give you the angle from the central maxima where waves interfere destructively.

Am I right about this? Is there an equation where you can find the position of the dark/bright frindges from the central maxima? Thanks

You need to know how the intensity varies over the screen, in a single slit diffraction. For a single slit, the formula is:

[tex]I = I_{0}\frac{\sin^{2}\beta}{\beta^2}[/tex]

where

[tex]\beta = \frac{\pi b}{\lambda}\sin\theta[/tex]

where [itex]b[/itex] is the slit width, [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the wavelength of light used and [itex]I_{0}[/itex] is the intensity at the central maximum ([itex]\theta = 0[/itex]), i.e. the maximum intensity. Without a proper figure, it is not possible to make this clearer.

You should refer to a physics textbook (Halliday/Resnick, Sears/Zemansky, etc.) at this stage. You might also want to have a look at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/sinslit.html

Hope this helps.

AznBoi said:
I guess the reason why I'm confused because it is not like diffraction/interference with a double-slit since the equation used in a double-slit actually gives you the position of the bright and dark frindges (places where the waves interefere constructively and destructively) while the single slit equation can only give you the angle from the central maxima where waves interfere destructively.

Am I right about this? Is there an equation where you can find the position of the dark/bright frindges from the central maxima? Thanks

Sorry, I didn't read your second post while I wrote my first.

If you denote by [itex]D[/itex] the distance from the source to the screen and [itex]y[/itex] the distance of any point from the central bright fringe on the screen, then

[tex]\sin\theta = \frac{y}{\sqrt{y^2+D^2}}[/tex]

If y is small compared to D (as is generally the case for interference), you can write approximately

[tex]\sin\theta = \tan\theta = \frac{y}{D}[/tex]

and you can plug this in for [itex]\sin\theta[/itex] and get [itex]y[/itex].

maverick280857 said:
You need to know how the intensity varies over the screen, in a single slit diffraction. For a single slit, the formula is:

[tex]I = I_{0}\frac{\sin^{2}\beta}{\beta^2}[/tex]

where

[tex]\beta = \frac{\pi b}{\lambda}\sin\theta[/tex]

where [itex]b[/itex] is the slit width, [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the wavelength of light used and [itex]I_{0}[/itex] is the intensity at the central maximum ([itex]\theta = 0[/itex]), i.e. the maximum intensity. Without a proper figure, it is not possible to make this clearer.

You should refer to a physics textbook (Halliday/Resnick, Sears/Zemansky, etc.) at this stage. You might also want to have a look at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/sinslit.html

Hope this helps.

So basically, the places where there is zero intensity have a dark frindge (destructive interference) and the places where their is maximum intensity have a bright frindge (constructive interference)?

If you treat the slit as a source of several light 'beams'..(do you see what I am trying to get at, here?)

Did you see the hyperphysics link?

BTW, what textbook are you using?

[Sidenote: Studying interference before diffraction is natural, but when you switch to diffraction, you tend to think about it in the same way as interference. Thats how you can't explain the intensity pattern: in interference, the intensity doesn't fall off, so you tend to expect the same thing in diffraction. Strictly speaking, you shouldn't be neglecting diffraction effects in studying interference patterns...but when you do you get the simplified model that you already know so much about. Don't treat diffraction and interference as two totally distinct phenomena.]

maverick280857 said:
If you treat the slit as a source of several light 'beams'..(do you see what I am trying to get at, here?)

Did you see the hyperphysics link?

BTW, what textbook are you using?

[Sidenote: Studying interference before diffraction is natural, but when you switch to diffraction, you tend to think about it in the same way as interference. Thats how you can't explain the intensity pattern: in interference, the intensity doesn't fall off, so you tend to expect the same thing in diffraction. Strictly speaking, you shouldn't be neglecting diffraction effects in studying interference patterns...but when you do you get the simplified model that you already know so much about. Don't treat diffraction and interference as two totally distinct phenomena.]

I'm using college physics 7th ed. by serway/faughn. The books says that "the values of theta for which the diffraction pattern has zero intensity, where a dark fringe forms. The various dark fringes (points of zero intensity) occur at the values of theta that satisfy [tex]Sin\theta_{dark}=\frac{m\lambda}{a}[/tex] a, being the width of the slit. So basically dark frindge=zero intensity, and bright frindge=max intensity?

AznBoi said:
So basically dark frindge=zero intensity, and bright frindge=max intensity?

Yup, and you can see that from the expression for intensity I gave a few posts ago.

Thanks a lot maverick. :smile: I really appreciate your help!

This is an old post, but just to clarify in case someone else has the same question in the future..

The bright fringes do not represent maximum intensity. Maximum intensity only occurs when theta is zero which is the bright fringe in the middle of the diffraction pattern. As theta is increased and you move further from the center of the diffraction pattern, the intensity decreases for each bright fringe. Just wanted to clarify that.

What is single-slit diffraction?

Single-slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through a narrow opening or slit. It causes the light to diffract or spread out, creating a pattern of light and dark fringes on a screen placed behind the slit.

What is the equation for single-slit diffraction?

The equation for single-slit diffraction is given by:
sinθ = mλ/d
where θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of the fringe, λ is the wavelength of light, and d is the width of the slit.

How does the width of the slit affect the diffraction pattern?

The width of the slit affects the diffraction pattern by determining the amount of diffraction that occurs. A wider slit will result in a narrower central maximum and a wider spacing between fringes, while a narrower slit will result in a wider central maximum and a narrower spacing between fringes.

What is the difference between single-slit and double-slit diffraction?

The main difference between single-slit and double-slit diffraction is the number of slits used. Single-slit diffraction occurs when light passes through a single narrow opening, while double-slit diffraction occurs when light passes through two narrow openings that are very close together. The resulting patterns of light and dark fringes are different for each type of diffraction.

Why is single-slit diffraction important in science?

Single-slit diffraction is important in science because it helps us understand the nature of light and its behavior. It has applications in various fields such as optics, astronomy, and microscopy. It also allows scientists to study the properties of light and determine the wavelength of light sources.