Skater pulling another skater with a rope, F=ma

• Thread starter VidsEpic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    F=ma Rope
In summary, two people, each with a mass of 70 kg, are wearing inline skates and are holding opposite ends of a 15 m rope. One person pulls forward on the rope by moving hand over hand and gradually reeling in more of the rope. In doing so, he exerts a force of 35 N backwards on the rope. This causes him to accelerate toward the other person. Assuming that the friction acting on the skaters is negligible, it takes 5.47 seconds for them to meet. The book may have a mistake in the answer key as it uses 15 m instead of 7.5 m in the equation, but the tension in the rope is the same at both ends, so only half the
VidsEpic

Homework Statement

Two people, each with a mass of 70 kg, are wearing inline
skates and are holding opposite ends of a 15 m rope. One
person pulls forward on the rope by moving hand over hand
and gradually reeling in more of the rope. In doing so, he
exerts a force of 35 N [backwards] on the rope. This causes
him to accelerate toward the other person. Assuming that
the friction acting on the skaters is negligible, how long will
it take for them to meet? Explain your reasoning. T/I

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

35N / 70 kg = 0.5 m/s/s

displacement = 0.5*a*t^2
7.5 = 0.25 * t^2

Since they are both accelerating towards each other because of Newton's third law, only half the distance is required to be traveled, so it takes 5.47 seconds for them to meet.

The answer at the answer key of my book says that it takes 7.7 seconds, they have used 15m in the equation instead of 7.5. If tension is the same at both ends of the rope, why would the person need to travel the whole 15m? the other skater can't be stationary?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct about the 7.5 meters. Your error is in calculating the acceleration. Since the person pulling on the rope is accelerating as well as the person being accelerated, the 35 N force is accelerating 140 kg, not 70 kg.

VidsEpic said:
Since they are both accelerating towards each other because of Newton's third law, only half the distance is required to be traveled, so it takes 5.47 seconds for them to meet.

The answer at the answer key of my book says that it takes 7.7 seconds, they have used 15m in the equation instead of 7.5. If tension is the same at both ends of the rope, why would the person need to travel the whole 15m? the other skater can't be stationary?
I'd say that you are correct and the book is wrong.

What book is it?

HallsofIvy said:
You are correct about the 7.5 meters. Your error is in calculating the acceleration. Since the person pulling on the rope is accelerating as well as the person being accelerated, the 35 N force is accelerating 140 kg, not 70 kg.
35 N is the tension in the rope, which acts on each of them separately. The 35 N force accelerates each 70 kg mass.

So that was it!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the other questions, you will find some very vague and strange questions. I encounter a lot of irregular patterns. For example sometimes they ask for a force, and I am not sure whether they want the net force, or the applied or the tension, and in the answer key, I actually figure out what they were looking for. So the book could possibly be flawed.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with that book.

I don't see anything unusual about the question you brought up in this thread, but it's not uncommon for the answer key to have mistakes. Feel free to bring up other problems, if they seem a bit irregular.

How can this problem be done when a force is not given?

strugglingstudent said:
How can this problem be done when a force is not given?
Look again. The force is given.

Doc Al said:
I'd say that you are correct and the book is wrong.

What book is it?
I got 7.7 so I did the same steps as him
7.5 = 0.5*0.25*t^2
7.5/0.125 = t^2
60 = t^2
7.7 = t

Welcome to PF @iiSummerboy21.

You realize that this thread is more than 9 years old. That said, your method is correct but the acceleration is not 0.25 m/s2 as implied in your equation
7.5 = 0.5*0.25*t^2
The force of tension acting on one person is T = 35 N. If the person's mass is m = 70 kg, the person's acceleration is
a = T/m = 35/70 =1/2 m/s2.

iiSummerboy21 said:
I got 7.7 so I did the same steps as him
7.5 = 0.5*0.25*t^2
7.5/0.125 = t^2
60 = t^2
7.7 = t
@iiSummerboy21 ,

:welcome:This thread was last replied to more than 5 years ago and is more than 9 years old.

That being said:

I assume you plugged into the expression ##\dfrac 1 2 a t^2 ## .

How did you get 0.25 (m/s2) for acceleration?

(@kuruman beat me to it !)

1. How does the force of the rope affect the acceleration of the skater?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it. Therefore, the greater the force of the rope pulling the skater, the greater the acceleration of the skater.

2. Does the mass of the skater being pulled affect the overall force and acceleration?

Yes, the mass of the skater being pulled does affect the overall force and acceleration. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of the skater, the smaller the acceleration will be for a given force.

3. Can the skater being pulled change the direction of their motion?

Yes, the skater being pulled can change the direction of their motion. The direction of the skater's motion is determined by the direction of the force being applied by the rope. Therefore, if the skater changes the direction of the force (by moving the rope), they can change the direction of their motion.

4. Is the force of the rope the only factor affecting the skater's motion?

No, the force of the rope is not the only factor affecting the skater's motion. Other factors, such as friction and air resistance, can also affect the skater's motion. However, for the purpose of this scenario, we are assuming that these factors are negligible.

5. How does the skater's motion change as the rope is pulled with varying forces?

The skater's motion will change depending on the magnitude and direction of the force being applied by the rope. If the force increases, the skater's acceleration and speed will also increase. If the force decreases, the skater's acceleration and speed will also decrease. If the force is applied in a different direction, the skater's motion will change accordingly.