1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch contours for f(x,y)=y^2+2x^2-x^4

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    The problem is:
    . Let f : R^2 → R be given by f(x,y)=y^2 +2x^2 −x^4.
    Sketch the contour diagram of f by drawing the contours f = −2, −1, 0, 1 , 1, 2.

I have started with the f = -1 line and managed to get it into a form resembling a hyperbola:

1 = (x^2-1)^2/2 - y^2/2

Is this the right sort of approach? And if so how would i sketch this with the x^2 where the x usually is?

I was thinking of trying to sketch it with all the values along the x-axis square rooted or something so it would look like a sort of squashed hyperbola but since a square root has two possible answers I don't think this is correct... Then there are all the other scary f values....

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For each value of C you can write

y2+2x2-x4=C

y = ± sqrt(C - 2x2+x4)

Presumably you have a graphing calculator. For each C plot both the + and - graphs on the same picture. You are right that some of the contours sort of look like hyperbolas, but not all of them do. If you let x go from -2 to 2 you should get good pictures.

4. Aug 24, 2011 #3
    Sigh, if only it were that easy. We are supposed to do them all by hand...

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What can I say? I think graphing calculators are relied on too much in some of the basic math courses, but here we have an instance where a graphing calculator or computer is exactly the proper tool. Does your teacher expect you to calculate the square roots by hand? I wouldn't waste my time plotting those by hand unless I really had nothing better to do with my time.

6. Aug 24, 2011 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should be able to see the contour plot will be symmetric about the y-axis. It also only has even powers of x, so it'll be symmetric about the x-axis. So really, all you have to do is figure out one quadrant.

Also, the case where C=1 is easy enough to do. :)

7. Aug 24, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It might help to write the function as [itex]y = \pm \sqrt{(x^2-1)^2+k}[/itex]. If k>0, the function is defined for all x. But if k<0, you have to be a bit more careful because the quantity under the radical will be negative for some values of x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook