Sketch the domain where it is analytic

In summary, the three given functions are analyzed to determine their analytic properties and sketch their domains. The first function is analytic everywhere except when z^2 = -4. The second function is analytic everywhere except at the origin. The third function is analytic when 0 < |2z - 4| < 3. Cauchy integral formula can be used to determine the analytic values. The original equation can be transformed into f(z) = u(x,y) + i v(x,y) before using the formula.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

determine if

a) f(z) = e^z / (z^2 + 4)

b) f(z) = conj(z) / |z|^2

c) f(z) = sum from 0 to inf. [ (e^z / 3^n) * (2z - 4)^n ]

is analytic and sketch the domain where it is analytic.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) i don't know how to separate the function into a real and imaginary part. I have a feeling that the denominator needs to be manipulated but I have no clue how.

f(z) = e^(x + yi) / ((x+yi)^2 + 4)

f(z) = (e^x * cosy) / ((x+yi)^2 + 4) + (ie^x * siny) / ((x+yi)^2 + 4)

(e^x * cosy)* ((x-yi)^2 + 4) / ((x+yi)^2 + 4)((x-yi)^2 + 4)I'm guessing it is analytic everywhere except

z^2 = -4

b) f(z) = conj(z) / |z|^2

f(z) = 1 / z

1/z = 1 / ( x+yi)

(x - yi) / (x^2 + y ^2)

= x / (x^2 + y ^2) - yi / (x^2 + y ^2)

since du/dx u(x,y) = dv/dy u(x,y)

and dv/dx u(x,y) = - dv/dx u(x,y)

the function is analytic everywhere except at the origin.

c) I used the ratio test and got lim n-> inf |1/3 (2z - 4)| = |1/3 (2z - 4)|

it's analytic on 0 < |2z - 4| < 3 ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

some hint to start:
e^z is analytic.

by theroem: A rational function (the quotient of two polynomials) is analytic, except at zeroes of the denominator.

So take care of Z^2 + 4 - > find the values at which the term become zero.
Sketch it on the complex plane.

By the way, should be bounded by some region when u say if you would like to take integral... if not you would know if the whole function is analytic anot. In my opinion, z^2+4 will fail to be analytic when it is set to zero.

hence cauchy integral formula should be used.

hope it helps

helps a bit, yet. I am having trouble transforming the original equation from part a) into f(z) = u(x,y) + i v(x,y) before the cauchy equations can be used.

(1) replace z = x + jy.
(2) expand and simplify.

:)

You'll get it. It may gets abit complicated. Be careful on the steps.

1. What does it mean for a function to be "analytic"?

Being "analytic" means that a function is smooth and well-behaved, with a defined value at every point in its domain. This means that the function can be represented as a power series, with infinitely many terms that converge to the function's value at each point.

2. How can I determine if a function is analytic?

A function can be determined to be analytic if it meets the criteria of being smooth and well-behaved, with a defined value at every point in its domain. This can be checked by graphing the function and ensuring that there are no abrupt changes or discontinuities.

3. What is the domain of an analytic function?

The domain of an analytic function is the set of all input values for which the function is defined and has a unique output. This means that all real numbers within a certain range can be inputted into the function and will result in a defined output.

4. Can a function be analytic at some points and not others?

Yes, a function can be analytic at some points and not others. This typically occurs when a function has a discontinuity or sharp turn at a specific point, which would make it not smooth and well-behaved at that point. However, it may still be analytic at all other points in its domain.

5. Are there different types of analytic functions?

Yes, there are different types of analytic functions, such as polynomial, trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions. These functions all have different characteristics and behaviors, but they are all considered analytic as long as they meet the criteria of being smooth and well-behaved with a defined value at every point in their domain.