Sketch the response of a system(bode plot given) to two inputs

In summary: thank you for your reply, it helps me a lot.for the quote, did you mean i need to anti log the reading from magnitude bode...thank you for your reply, it helps me a lot.
legolegoyoyo
Hi all
Please help me with this question, thanks a lot.
7464930188_dbb23a915a_b.jpg

7464930048_cb14610b6c_b.jpg

My attempt on this question is that i can calculate the damping ratio from the magnitude diagram, approximately 0.16
I can't do more than that, please help. I will be grateful even if you pointing me a direction solving this.
cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
legolegoyoyo said:
Hi all
Please help me with this question, thanks a lot.
7464930188_dbb23a915a_b.jpg

7464930048_cb14610b6c_b.jpg

My attempt on this question is that i can calculate the damping ratio from the magnitude diagram, approximately 0.16
I can't do more than that, please help. I will be grateful even if you pointing me a direction solving this.
cheers

Hint: What type of signals (waveforms) are the inputs? What are the basic defining characteristics of such signals?

Your two input plots are the same.
Are they intended to be continuous or stop at t = 10? If continuous the answer should bite you on the nose. If truncated at 10 sec. then you have a bigger challenge. Tell us which, and what happened to the second input plot.

thank you for the reply, the question asks to draw response on the input diagram.

gneill said:
Hint: What type of signals (waveforms) are the inputs? What are the basic defining characteristics of such signals?

hi
I'm not sure what information should i get from the bode plot and the input signal to sketch the response.

to your question, the signal is sine wave form
:smile:

legolegoyoyo said:
hi
I'm not sure what information should i get from the bode plot and the input signal to sketch the response.

to your question, the signal is sine wave form
:smile:

What parameters define a sinewave?

gneill said:
What parameters define a sinewave?

Hi:smile:
period, amplitude,

I doubt that the question is asking for you to draw a waveform that is a composite of two. I'd say you are to first consider one of the inputs and plot the corresponding output on the same set of axes as that input. Then as a separate question, consider the other signal as input, and sketch the corresponding output, again on the same plot as the input so you can demonstrate the phase difference.

There is no requirement to determine damping ratio, that I can see.

Are you right to go now, legolegoyoyo?

NascentOxygen said:
I doubt that the question is asking for you to draw a waveform that is a composite of two. I'd say you are to first consider one of the inputs and plot the corresponding output on the same set of axes as that input. Then as a separate question, consider the other signal as input, and sketch the corresponding output, again on the same plot as the input so you can demonstrate the phase difference.

There is no requirement to determine damping ratio, that I can see.

Are you right to go now, legolegoyoyo?

Hi, thanks for the reply, its very helpful
there is an equation from my lecture notes,

y(t)=AMsin(ω0t+∅)
the 2 input signal graph are just 2 different input, and the question requires to sketch on them individually
my understanding to this equation is,

y(t) is the response wave
A is the amplitude of the input signal
M is the magnitude read from the bode diagram(magnitude diagram) at the frequency of ω0
ω0 is the frequency(in rad/s) read from the input signal and convert to rad/s by multiply the frequency(in Hz) with 2[itex]\pi[/itex]
∅ is the angle read from bode diagram(phase diagram) at the frequency of ω0
then i just substitute all the values i got into the equation y(t) to get the response wave plot

Im i correct? Please comment
cheers mate!

legolegoyoyo said:
Hi, thanks for the reply, its very helpful
there is an equation from my lecture notes,

y(t)=AMsin(ω0t+∅)
the 2 input signal graph are just 2 different input, and the question requires to sketch on them individually
my understanding to this equation is,

y(t) is the response wave
A is the amplitude of the input signal
M is the magnitude read from the bode diagram(magnitude diagram) at the frequency of ω0
ω0 is the frequency(in rad/s) read from the input signal and convert to rad/s by multiply the frequency(in Hz) with 2[itex]\pi[/itex]
∅ is the angle read from bode diagram(phase diagram) at the frequency of ω0
then i just substitute all the values i got into the equation y(t) to get the response wave plot

Im i correct? Please comment
cheers mate!

Yup, it looks like you're on your way. One thing though, make sure that you understand precisely what the Bode plot "Magnitude" is...

gneill said:
Yup, it looks like you're on your way. One thing though, make sure that you understand precisely what the Bode plot "Magnitude" is...

Thank to you for your hints:wink:

for the quote, did you mean i need to anti log the reading from magnitude bode diagram

legolegoyoyo said:
Thank to you for your hints:wink:

for the quote, did you mean i need to anti log the reading from magnitude bode diagram

When you're drawing a bode magnitude diagram, what expression are you plotting against angular frequency?

gneill said:
When you're drawing a bode magnitude diagram, what expression are you plotting against angular frequency?

20logK

legolegoyoyo said:
20logK

And what's K in this context?

gneill said:
and what's k in this context?

10m/20

legolegoyoyo said:
10m/20

Perhaps I should have been more specific; I wasn't looking for you to isolate K but rather to state what K represents in the given formula.

1. What is a bode plot and why is it used?

A bode plot is a graphical representation of a system's frequency response. It shows how a system responds to different input frequencies. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of a system, and to design or improve system performance.

2. How is a bode plot plotted?

A bode plot consists of two plots: a magnitude plot which shows the amplitude response of the system, and a phase plot which shows the phase response of the system. The frequency is plotted on a logarithmic scale on the x-axis, and the magnitude (in decibels) or phase (in degrees) is plotted on the y-axis.

3. How can I interpret a bode plot?

A bode plot can give you information about the gain, bandwidth, and stability of a system. The magnitude plot shows the gain (or attenuation) of the system at different frequencies, and the phase plot shows the phase shift of the output compared to the input. The slope of the magnitude plot can also indicate the system's order (how many poles and zeros it has).

4. What are the typical shapes of a bode plot?

The shape of a bode plot depends on the type of system being analyzed. A low-pass filter will have a flat magnitude response at low frequencies, and then roll off at a certain frequency. A high-pass filter will have a flat magnitude response at high frequencies, and then roll off. A band-pass filter will have a peak in the magnitude response at the center frequency. A notch filter will have a dip in the magnitude response at the center frequency. These are just a few examples, and the exact shape of a bode plot will vary depending on the system's characteristics.

5. How does a bode plot help in system design?

A bode plot can help in system design by showing the frequency range in which the system is most sensitive, or where it has the largest gain. This can help in determining the appropriate components or parameters to use in the system. Additionally, the phase response can indicate if the system is stable or not, which is crucial in designing a reliable system.