Bode Plots & High Pass, Low Pass, Band Stop and Pass Frequen

In summary, the conversation is about confirming the calculations for a given function and understanding the type of filter response it exhibits. The function given is H(s) = 1/(s+1)^2, and the questions asked are: 1) to calculate the poles and zeros, 2) to calculate the slope of the magnitude response as w -> 0, and 3) to determine the type of filter response. The summary confirms that there are no zeros and two poles at -1. It also states that the slope of the magnitude response is 0 as w -> 0, and the graph shows that H(s) -> 0 as s -> 0. Finally, the conclusion is that the filter response is a low
libnitz

Homework Statement

Hi,

I just need some confirmation on 3 questions

H(s) = 1/(s+1)^2

1. I was asked to calculate the poles and zeros. I believe

zeros: none
poles: 2 (or p1,2) = -1

2. I was also asked to calculate the slope of the magnitude response was w -> 0
Here is my sketched graph

2016-02-20 20.17.13.jpg

From my pic, it shows that as w -> 0, H(s) -> 0.3. What type of filter response does this network exhibit.
I believe it will be a Low Pass because as

s->0, H(s) -> 1 and as s-> infinity, H(s) -> 0?

Does this reasoning make it a low pass filter, high pass, band stop or band pass?

Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
According to your graph, what frequencies pass thru with the least attenuation?

Your Bode plot is good, and I can only second TomG's rhetorical question.

1. What is a Bode plot?

A Bode plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It shows the magnitude and phase of the system's output as a function of frequency. It is commonly used in control systems and signal processing to analyze the behavior of a system.

2. How do you interpret a Bode plot?

The magnitude of the Bode plot shows the gain of the system, while the phase shows the lag or lead introduced by the system. The frequency at which the magnitude crosses 0 dB is known as the cutoff frequency. A steeper slope of the magnitude plot indicates a higher order system, while a flatter slope indicates a lower order system.

3. What is the difference between a high pass and low pass filter?

A high pass filter allows high frequency signals to pass through while attenuating low frequency signals. On the other hand, a low pass filter allows low frequency signals to pass through while attenuating high frequency signals. The cutoff frequency determines the point where the filter starts to attenuate the signal.

4. What is a band stop filter?

A band stop filter, also known as a notch filter, attenuates signals within a certain frequency band while allowing all other frequencies to pass through. It is commonly used to remove unwanted interference or noise from a signal.

5. How do you determine the cutoff frequency of a high pass or low pass filter?

The cutoff frequency of a high pass or low pass filter can be determined by finding the frequency at which the magnitude of the Bode plot crosses 0 dB. This frequency is also known as the -3 dB frequency, as it corresponds to a 3 dB decrease in the magnitude of the signal.