1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketching Transfer function in time domain

1. Oct 12, 2015 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    $$ y(s) = \frac {s}{(s+1)(2s+1)} u(s) $$
    Where ##u(s)## is the step function ##\frac {1}{s}##

Find the output at t=0 and t= infinity

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My question is kind of basic, so I know the final and initial value theorem

$$ \lim_{s \to 0} sY(s) = \lim_{t \to \infty} y(t) $$

But should I include the step function, or leave it out. Meaning, should I evaluate

$$ \lim_{s \to 0} \frac {s^{2}}{(s+1)(2s+1)} \frac {1}{s}$$
    or rather,
    $$ \lim_{s \to 0} \frac {s^{2}}{(s+1)(2s+1)} $$

The reason I am hesitating on this is because in the textbook example problem, they do not mention what the input function is, and proceed to solve without the step function. Then I solved a homework problem where they asked to match the transfer function output with a step function input, and at that time I did not even realize, so I was only doing limits of Y(s), not sY(s), and got them all right. So now my head is all jumbled up and I just want to get this thing cleared up!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to include U(s) = 1/s.
    If you used the initial & final value theorems without the U(s) input you'd be solving the problem with the input = kδ(t), the delta function aka impulse input, where k = 1 Volt-sec. If you're not familiar with the delta function, be careful with it. Unlike u(t) which is dimensionless, δ(t) has dimension 1/t.

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3

Maylis

Gold Member

Makes sense why I got them all right then, the s and 1/s cancel anyways

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted