Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sliding DFT discrete Fourier transform

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    "Sliding DFT" discrete Fourier transform...

I was wondering if any of you had had experience with the sliding DFT algorithm. It is somewhat similar to the Goertzel algorithm.

I am having some trouble understanding the mathematics of the algorithm, and I also cannot seem to identify a useful application of it.

So far I have not found a lot of information online and I am hoping somebody that has encountered this in industry can help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2009 #2
    Re: "Sliding DFT" discrete Fourier transform...

It sounds like your problems cancel each other out! :wink:

I assume this is what you're talking about: http://www.comm.utoronto.ca/~dimitris/ece431/slidingdft.pdf

I read the paper, and it's really very simple. All it is saying is that if you have, for example, a 10-point DFT of samples 0-9 of a signal (let's call it x(n)), you can turn it into the 10-point DFT for samples 1-10 very easily. All you have to do is subtract x(0) and add x(10) to every point in the DFT, and then multiply each point k (from 0 to 9) in the DFT by e^(k*2*pi*j/10). That's it. Now you can repeat the process to get the DFT for samples 2-11, and so on.

This is useful if you want to analyze a signal by looking at a bunch of DFT's of little chunks in time. This is a very common way of analyzing signals. In fact, where I work, it's almost the only way anyone ever works with a signal. Looking at a set of DFT's for different points in time gives you a spectrum of the signal that changes with time. I can't think of a case where you wouldn't find that information useful. For example, a music player does something like this when it displays a spectrogram while it is playing.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?