Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Discrete Fourier Transform question

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    Hi, I am learning fourier transformation by my own. I am reading a book "Fourier Transformation" by R. Bracewell. In chapter 11, in examples of discrete fourier transforms, it gives for N =2, {1 0} transforms to 1/2{1 1}. I can do this in matlab but I can't figure it out how to do it by hand. Searching over the internet, I came across some material but it did not help. Can someone explain me how to get those transforms. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

4. Mar 30, 2013 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bracewell's is an excellent book. The result you quote should be obvious except, perhaps, for the normalization in front which would usually be used for the inverse DFT (the forward DFT would have the factor 1). I don't have this book here but look at his definition of the DFT and check the normalization.

5. Apr 19, 2013 #4
    Computing a discrete Fourier transform is basically the same as computing the coefficients of a Fourier series (except for the normalization factor). If you are confused by this simple question, then reviewing how to compute Fourier series might help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook