Slinky springs and eq of motion.

In summary, the system consists of a mass connected to two slinky springs with different spring constants. The equation of motion is mx"+(k1-k2)x=0, where x is the displacement from equilibrium and k1 and k2 are the spring constants. The springs always exert a positive force towards the equilibrium position, regardless of the direction of displacement.
JoshuaR
A mass is resting on a horizontal surface without friction. It is connected on both sides by slinky springs k1 and k2 (that is they have different spring constants, and the equilibrium position will not be in the center of the system). First I had to find the equation of motion after setting up the forces. I've seen an example of a mass connected on either side by a spring and k=k1+k2. This is because whichever side of equilibrium you place the mass, the forces act in the same direction, one pulls and one pushes, basically. In this however, the slinky springs naturally are of length L0, or they are close to zero before stretched. Therefore both springs are pulling away from the center no matter where you set the displacement. It is just that one is pulling more than the other, being displaced further. (This is my reasoning so far.) So if I displace to the right, I say sum of forces=ma=-k1x+k2x. That is the force of k1 pulls to the left while k2 to the right. So I have mx"+(k1-k2)x=0 or x"+((k1-k2)/m)x=0. Is this right? Or should I have done (K1+k2)?

Thanks, Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
JoshuaR said:
I've seen an example of a mass connected on either side by a spring and k=k1+k2. This is because whichever side of equilibrium you place the mass, the forces act in the same direction, one pulls and one pushes, basically.
OK.

In this however, the slinky springs naturally are of length L0, or they are close to zero before stretched. Therefore both springs are pulling away from the center no matter where you set the displacement.
Are you saying that the springs are unstretched when the mass is at equilibrium? In any case, the only thing that matters is the change in the force that each spring exerts when the mass is displaced from equilibrium.

When the mass is at the equilibrium position, the net force is always zero. The springs are either both pushing or both pulling or both exerting no force. When the mass is displaced from equilibrium, the change in force exerted by each spring is always in the same direction: towards the equilibrium position. Thus both springs contribute positively to the net restoring force.

Your reasoning is correct. The equation of motion for this system would be mx"+(k1-k2)x=0, where m is the mass, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and k1 and k2 are the spring constants. This is because as you mentioned, one spring is pulling to the left while the other is pulling to the right, resulting in a net force of (k1-k2)x. It is not necessary to add the spring constants together, as they are already accounted for in the individual forces acting on the mass. Keep in mind that this equation assumes ideal conditions, such as no friction and no external forces acting on the mass. In a real-world scenario, there may be additional factors to consider. Overall, your understanding and approach to solving this problem is correct. Good job!

1. What is a Slinky spring?

A Slinky spring is a tightly coiled wire that can stretch and compress, making it a popular toy and educational tool.

2. How does a Slinky spring work?

A Slinky spring works by utilizing the principle of potential energy stored in its coils. When stretched or compressed, the coils store potential energy, which is then released as kinetic energy when the spring returns to its original shape.

3. What is the equation of motion for a Slinky spring?

The equation of motion for a Slinky spring is F = kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

4. How does the spring constant affect the motion of a Slinky spring?

The spring constant, k, determines how easily the spring can be stretched or compressed. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will require more force to stretch or compress, resulting in a smaller displacement and faster oscillations.

5. What are some real-world applications of Slinky springs?

Slinky springs have various applications, such as in shock absorbers for cars, as components in mechanical watches, and as energy storage devices in certain types of batteries. They are also commonly used in science experiments to demonstrate concepts such as potential and kinetic energy.