Slits per cm on diffraction grating

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the number of slits per cm in a diffraction grating that produces three orders of 650 nm light. The equation used is the diffraction grating equation, which relates the angles of different order beams to the wavelength, slit spacing, and order number. The solution involves finding the distance between adjacent slits and taking the reciprocal to determine the number of slits per cm.
msk172

Homework Statement

Light of 650 nm can be seen in three orders in a particular grating. About how many slits per cm does this grating have?

Homework Equations

Yikes.

The Attempt at a Solution

Either this question is ridiculously hard resulting in me not even having a clue where to start, or it is so easy that I don't even deserve to get it right.. haha. If someone could just point me towards the right CONTINENT, I might have a chance.. heh. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I understand that, but without knowing the length of the grating, how could one possible ascertain slits / cm?

The equation gives you the distance between adjacent slits. Take the reciprocal of that distance (in cm), and you get the number of slits per cm.

Got it. Ugh. Too many hours of looking at this screen. Thanks for your time.

You're welcome, no problem.

What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a scientific tool that is used to separate light into its different wavelengths. It consists of a large number of equally spaced parallel slits or grooves that are etched onto a surface.

What does "slits per cm" refer to on a diffraction grating?

"Slits per cm" is a measure of the density of the slits on a diffraction grating. It refers to the number of slits that are present in one centimeter of the grating's surface.

How does the number of slits per cm affect the diffraction pattern?

The number of slits per cm on a diffraction grating directly affects the spacing of the diffraction pattern. The smaller the spacing between the slits, the wider the diffraction pattern will be.

What is the relationship between the number of slits per cm and the wavelength of light?

The number of slits per cm on a diffraction grating is directly proportional to the wavelength of light. This means that as the number of slits per cm increases, the wavelength of light also increases.

How can the number of slits per cm be calculated?

The number of slits per cm on a diffraction grating can be calculated by dividing the total number of slits on the grating by the width of the grating in centimeters. For example, if a grating has 5000 slits and a width of 2 cm, the number of slits per cm would be 2500.