1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slope Fields and Determing Behavior of Any Solution

1. Sep 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The differential equation is y' = y^2
    Draw a direction field for the given differential equation.
    Based on the direction field, determine the behavior of y as t →∞. If this behavior depends
    on the initial value of y at t =0, describe this dependency.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, so I plotted the slope field by evaluating the derivative at several different y-values. This is what I observed:

The solution curve certainly depends on the initial y-value when t=0. If particular solution y(t) to the DE has a solution of the form (t=0, y>0) (passes through a point), then as t----> infinity,
    y(t)----> infinity. On the other hand, if some particular solution y(t) passes through a point of the form (t=0, y<0), then as t--->infinity, y(t)----> 0

Are these correct observations; and have I used terminology and notation correctly?

Also, when considering solutions that pass through the negative portion of the y-axis, will some approach y=0 more quickly than others?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I am confused as to why you would say "On the other hand" for the initial value of y< 0 then say that its behavior is exactly the same as for y> 0.

And you seem to have left out an important special case- what if y= 0 for some t? And if y goes to infinity even if y is negative, how does it pass y= 0?

4. Sep 26, 2013 #3
    What you have pointed out, I believe I have fixed.

In the case that some solution passes through (0,0), then as t---> infinity, y will remain zero, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted