Slope Fields and Determing Behavior of Any Solution

In summary, the differential equation y' = y^2 has a solution curve that depends on the initial value of y at t = 0. If the solution curve passes through a point with y > 0, then as t approaches infinity, y will also approach infinity. However, if the solution curve passes through a point with y < 0, then as t approaches infinity, y will approach 0. It is also possible for the solution curve to pass through the point (0,0), in which case y will remain at 0 as t approaches infinity.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

The differential equation is y' = y^2
Draw a direction field for the given differential equation.
Based on the direction field, determine the behavior of y as t →∞. If this behavior depends
on the initial value of y at t =0, describe this dependency.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I plotted the slope field by evaluating the derivative at several different y-values. This is what I observed:

The solution curve certainly depends on the initial y-value when t=0. If particular solution y(t) to the DE has a solution of the form (t=0, y>0) (passes through a point), then as t----> infinity,
y(t)----> infinity. On the other hand, if some particular solution y(t) passes through a point of the form (t=0, y<0), then as t--->infinity, y(t)----> 0

Are these correct observations; and have I used terminology and notation correctly?

Also, when considering solutions that pass through the negative portion of the y-axis, will some approach y=0 more quickly than others?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused as to why you would say "On the other hand" for the initial value of y< 0 then say that its behavior is exactly the same as for y> 0.

And you seem to have left out an important special case- what if y= 0 for some t? And if y goes to infinity even if y is negative, how does it pass y= 0?

What you have pointed out, I believe I have fixed.

In the case that some solution passes through (0,0), then as t---> infinity, y will remain zero, right?

1. What is a slope field?

A slope field is a graphical representation of the slope at each point on a two-dimensional graph, typically used to analyze the behavior of a solution to a differential equation.

2. How do you determine the behavior of a solution using a slope field?

To determine the behavior of a solution, you can look at the direction and magnitude of the slope at different points on the graph. A steeper slope indicates a faster rate of change, while a flatter slope indicates a slower rate of change. This can help you understand how the solution will behave over time.

3. What does a horizontal slope in a slope field indicate?

A horizontal slope in a slope field indicates that the solution will remain constant over time. This is because the derivative of a constant function is always equal to 0.

4. How can you use a slope field to approximate a solution to a differential equation?

You can use a slope field to approximate a solution by choosing a starting point on the graph and following the direction of the slope at each point. By repeating this process, you can create a series of points that will approximate the solution curve.

5. Can a slope field have multiple solutions for a single differential equation?

Yes, a slope field can have multiple solutions for a single differential equation. This is because there can be different initial conditions or constant terms that result in different solutions. The slope field shows the behavior of all possible solutions to the differential equation.