1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slopes of tangent lines of parametric curves.

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement,ll variables and given/known data
    I have the first and second derivatives of a parametric function and the book is asking for when the slope of the tangent is vertical and horizontal. I get that horizontal is when dy/dx is 0. But what about vertical, is that dy/dx is 1?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the tangent line has slope 1, wouldn't it be at a 45 degree angle? Think about dx/dy at a vertical tangent line point.

4. May 5, 2014 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

When it's vertical, dy/dx is undefined. This is an abuse of notation, but it may help you to think of an undefined value as being [itex]1/0 = \pm \infty[/itex] So if you have

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/tex]

Then to find where the tangent is horizontal, you need to evaluate f(x)=0 and to find where it is vertical you calculate g(x)=0. But keep in mind that when solving either one, the x value you find cannot also be a zero of the other. So for example,

[tex]y=log(x-1)[/tex] x>1

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{x-1}=\frac{x}{x(x-1)}[/tex] I just added a factor of x into the numerator and denominator for illustrative purposes. It doesn't change the function over real values of x.

There is a vertical tangent to the function y at x=1, but at x=0 there is neither a vertical or horizontal even though x=0 gives us 0 in the numerator and in the denominator.

5. May 5, 2014 #4
    Thanks so very very much for this clears up a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted