Conservation of angular momentum on low-friction bearings

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Seraph404
Messages
63
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two disks are mounted on low-friction bearings on the same axle and can be brought together so that they couple and rotate as one unit. a) The first disk, with rotational inertia 3.3 kg m^2 about its central axis, is set spinning at 450 rev/min. The second disk, with rotational inertia 6.6 kg m^2 about its central axis, is set spinning at 900 rev/min in the same direction as the first. They then couple together. What is their angular speed after coupling?



Homework Equations



L = L'
L = Iw



The Attempt at a Solution



Can I get some hints on how to find the final rotational inertia? I'm sure it's something simple; I've just sort of been struggling with this chapter. I can't seem to visulize angular momentum at all.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Seraph404 said:
Can I get some hints on how to find the final rotational inertia?
The rotational inertia of the coupled disks is just the sum of the individual rotational inertias of each disk.
 
Seraph404 said:
Then what is the initial rotational inertia?
The rotational inertia of each disk is given.

Hint: The total angular momentum is the sum of the angular momenta of each disk. (I suspect that's the question you meant to ask.)