Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Conservation of angular momentum on low-friction bearings

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two disks are mounted on low-friction bearings on the same axle and can be brought together so that they couple and rotate as one unit. a) The first disk, with rotational inertia 3.3 kg m^2 about its central axis, is set spinning at 450 rev/min. The second disk, with rotational inertia 6.6 kg m^2 about its central axis, is set spinning at 900 rev/min in the same direction as the first. They then couple together. What is their angular speed after coupling?

2. Relevant equations

L = L'
    L = Iw

3. The attempt at a solution

Can I get some hints on how to find the final rotational inertia? I'm sure it's something simple; I've just sort of been struggling with this chapter. I can't seem to visulize angular momentum at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The rotational inertia of the coupled disks is just the sum of the individual rotational inertias of each disk.

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    Then what is the initial rotational inertia?

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The rotational inertia of each disk is given.

Hint: The total angular momentum is the sum of the angular momenta of each disk. (I suspect that's the question you meant to ask.)

6. Mar 6, 2008 #5
    Oh I see. I feel dumb, now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook