1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conservation of angular momentum on low-friction bearings

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two disks are mounted on low-friction bearings on the same axle and can be brought together so that they couple and rotate as one unit. a) The first disk, with rotational inertia 3.3 kg m^2 about its central axis, is set spinning at 450 rev/min. The second disk, with rotational inertia 6.6 kg m^2 about its central axis, is set spinning at 900 rev/min in the same direction as the first. They then couple together. What is their angular speed after coupling?

2. Relevant equations

L = L'
    L = Iw

3. The attempt at a solution

Can I get some hints on how to find the final rotational inertia? I'm sure it's something simple; I've just sort of been struggling with this chapter. I can't seem to visulize angular momentum at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The rotational inertia of the coupled disks is just the sum of the individual rotational inertias of each disk.

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    Then what is the initial rotational inertia?

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The rotational inertia of each disk is given.

Hint: The total angular momentum is the sum of the angular momenta of each disk. (I suspect that's the question you meant to ask.)

6. Mar 6, 2008 #5
    Oh I see. I feel dumb, now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?