Small hole at bottom of cylindrical tank draining water?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 19K views
khfrekek92
Messages
79
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



the tank has a radius of 2m, containing an initial water level of 3m. A hole at the very bottom (underneath) of the tank has radius .005m. How long will it take to empty the tank?

Homework Equations



Bernoulli's principle.
A=radius at top of tank
a=radius of drain hole

The Attempt at a Solution



after solving V=sqrt(2gh) [at the hole in the bottom], i set dV/dt=--a*sqrt(2gh), so A(dy/dt)=-a*sqrt(2gh). After integrating both sides and solving for C, I got that (A/g)sqrt(2gh)=-8at+(A/g)sqrt(6g)
Then I plugged everything in with h=0 and got that t=15649.2sec=4.35 hours.

Did I do this right? Did you get the same answer?

Thanks so much in advance! I appreciate it!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey You can't apply sqrt(2gh) when area of hole is given.sqrt(2gh) is when area of hole is very small.You need to apply continuity equation to get velocity outside hole Av1=av2, where v1 is velocity just before water is inside cylinder, & v2 is velocity of water just after coming out of hole.
you should get velocity v2=sqrt(2gh/(1-(a2/A2))).
 
Even accepting the point from 1994Bhaskar, since the radius of the hole is given as 0.005 m and the radius of the tank is 2 m, I think a simple calculation shows the area of the hole is in fact "very small" in relation to the cross sectional area of the tank. The correction factor for v2 is 0.99999375, using the information given. In other words, v = sqrt (2gh).
 
Yes that is a great point 1994Bhaskar, but my professor said we are allowed to assume that the velocity at the top is negligible compared to the bottom, So I'll just use v=sqrt(2gh). Thanks so much for your help guys! :)