1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small question about binomial theorem

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    I was trying to make sense of the equation attached below which was on the wikipedia site.

However I'm not entirely sure how to make use of the "n choose 0" , "n choose 1", etc. statements that in front of each term in of the expansion. I roughly know how the expansion should look intuitively but I was hoping I could find a greater understanding.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2
    Remember that binomial coefficients can be expressed in terms of factorials.

[tex]\binom{n}{m} = \frac{n!}{m!(n-m)!}[/tex]

For example,

[tex]\binom{6}{2} = \frac{6!}{2!4!} = \frac{6 \times 5 \times 4 \times 3 \times 2 \times 1}{(2 \times 1)(4 \times 3 \times 2 \times 1)} = \frac{6 \times 5}{2} = 15[/tex]

You see that the 4! on the bottom canceled all but two factors on the top. One of the terms can always be used to get a lot of cancellations in this way.

4. Jun 9, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] {n \choose m} \equiv \frac{n!}{m! (n-m)!} = \frac{n(n-1)...(n-m+1)}{m!},[/tex]
    so
    [tex] {n \choose 0} = 1, \: {n \choose 1} = n, \; {n \choose 2} = \frac{n(n-1)}{2}, \; \cdots, {n \choose n} = 1.
    [/tex]
    In practice it is often easier to get them recursively from
    [tex] {n \choose 0} = 1, \: {n \choose 1} = n, \\
    {n \choose k} = {n-1 \choose k-1} + {n-1 \choose k}, \; 1 \leq k \leq n.[/tex]

RGV

5. Jun 10, 2012 #4
    Thank you it is much clearer now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook