Inverse Binomial Expansion within Laurent Series?

In summary, the given solution for finding the Laurent Series of f(z) = \frac{1}{z(z-2)^3} uses a binomial expansion to expand \frac{1}{(1-\frac{z}{2})^3}. The exponent in the binomial series can be any real or complex number, not just a positive integer.
sinkersub

Homework Statement

Find the Laurent Series of [itex] f(z) = \frac{1}{z(z-2)^3} [/itex] about the singularities z=0 and z=2 (separately).

Verify z=0 is a pole of order 1, and z=2 is a pole of order 3.

Find residue of f(z) at each pole.

Homework Equations

The solution starts by parentheses in the form (1 - az), where a is some constant.

[itex] f(z) = \frac{-1}{8z(1-\frac{z}{2})^3} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The solution given expands [itex] \frac{1}{(1-\frac{z}{2})^3} [/itex] as follows, and I just don't understand how it does it! I'm simply trying to recognise what expansion this is, as I can see it's used later too! I understand almost all of the rest of the problem. A general series/hint to what series is used would be amazing!

[itex] = 1 + (-3)(\frac{-z}{2}) +\frac{(-3)(-4)(\frac{-z}{2})^2}{2!} + \frac{(-3)(-4)(-5)(\frac{-z}{2})^3}{3!} + ... [/itex]

I think it's a binomial expansion, but how does a binomial expansion work for negative powers?

Is it a binomial expansion?

sinkersub

Physics news on Phys.org
sinkersub said:

Homework Statement

Find the Laurent Series of [itex] f(z) = \frac{1}{z(z-2)^3} [/itex] about the singularities z=0 and z=2 (separately).

Verify z=0 is a pole of order 1, and z=2 is a pole of order 3.

Find residue of f(z) at each pole.

Homework Equations

The solution starts by parentheses in the form (1 - az), where a is some constant.

[itex] f(z) = \frac{-1}{8z(1-\frac{z}{2})^3} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The solution given expands [itex] \frac{1}{(1-\frac{z}{2})^3} [/itex] as follows, and I just don't understand how it does it! I'm simply trying to recognise what expansion this is, as I can see it's used later too! I understand almost all of the rest of the problem. A general series/hint to what series is used would be amazing!

[itex] = 1 + (-3)(\frac{-z}{2}) +\frac{(-3)(-4)(\frac{-z}{2})^2}{2!} + \frac{(-3)(-4)(-5)(\frac{-z}{2})^3}{3!} + ... [/itex]

I think it's a binomial expansion, but how does a binomial expansion work for negative powers?

Is it a binomial expansion?
Yes. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_series. The exponent doesn't need to be a positive integer. It can be negative or real, or even complex.

Thanks for the clarification!

1. What is the difference between inverse binomial expansion and binomial expansion?

Inverse binomial expansion is the process of finding the coefficients of a Laurent series by expanding a rational function with negative powers. Binomial expansion, on the other hand, is the process of expanding a binomial expression into a series using the binomial theorem.

2. Why is inverse binomial expansion important in mathematics?

Inverse binomial expansion is important because it allows us to express complicated rational functions as a series, making it easier to manipulate and calculate with them. It also has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics.

3. What is the formula for inverse binomial expansion within Laurent series?

The formula for inverse binomial expansion within Laurent series is given by:

4. What is the significance of the coefficients in inverse binomial expansion?

The coefficients in inverse binomial expansion represent the coefficients of the Laurent series expansion of a rational function. They provide information about the singularities of the function and can be used to approximate the function for certain values of x.

5. How is inverse binomial expansion related to other mathematical concepts?

Inverse binomial expansion is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as power series, Taylor series, and binomial theorem. It is also used in the study of complex analysis, where Laurent series are used to represent complex functions with poles and branch points.