Small silicon nitride ball bearing

In summary: I suspect you'll need to talk to distributors or manufacturers directly to get an answer. The bearings won't be cheap, but you'll get a lot of help selecting a bearing and support for design if you go that route.Thanks!
guss
Hello, I need a small cageless, angular contact silicon nitride ball bearing (preferably deep groove) that is roughly 5 mm to 7 mm in inside diameter. This is to be used in a small model jet engine.

I have been looking for hours but can't find anything. Does anyone know where I can get a bearing like this? I really need some help here, or a lead on where to find something like this.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bump.

Final bump. Anyone?

Hi guss. I suspect there's nothing readily available to the hobbiest. Have you tried contacting your local SFK distributor? I seem to remember talking to one of their applications engineers a few years ago and he mentioned that SKF is now making them. Or just look for ceramic bearing manufacturers in Google, ThomasNet.com or similar web page. I suspect you'll need to talk to distributors or manufacturers directly to get an answer. The bearings won't be cheap, but you'll get a lot of help selecting a bearing and support for design if you go that route.

Q_Goest said:
Hi guss. I suspect there's nothing readily available to the hobbiest. Have you tried contacting your local SFK distributor? I seem to remember talking to one of their applications engineers a few years ago and he mentioned that SKF is now making them. Or just look for ceramic bearing manufacturers in Google, ThomasNet.com or similar web page. I suspect you'll need to talk to distributors or manufacturers directly to get an answer. The bearings won't be cheap, but you'll get a lot of help selecting a bearing and support for design if you go that route.

Thanks! I had contacted a few other bearing providers, but I hadn't heard of SKF. I just looked around their store (didn't seem to find anything, but I had trouble searching anyway) for a bit and sent them an email.

I know bearings that meet my specification exist because I know of someone who purchased some recently. It's just a scavenger hunt trying to find them.

1. What is a small silicon nitride ball bearing?

A small silicon nitride ball bearing is a type of ball bearing that uses silicon nitride balls instead of traditional steel balls. These bearings are typically used in high-precision and high-speed applications due to their superior durability and smoothness.

2. How is a small silicon nitride ball bearing made?

To create a small silicon nitride ball bearing, the silicon nitride material is first formed into small spheres through a process called sintering. These spheres are then ground and polished to achieve the desired size and shape. Finally, the balls are assembled into a bearing with inner and outer rings and a cage to hold the balls in place.

3. What are the advantages of using a small silicon nitride ball bearing?

Small silicon nitride ball bearings offer several advantages compared to traditional steel ball bearings. They have a higher strength-to-weight ratio, are more corrosion resistant, and can operate at higher speeds. They also have lower friction and generate less heat, making them ideal for high-precision and high-speed applications.

4. What are some common applications of small silicon nitride ball bearings?

Small silicon nitride ball bearings are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, medical, and semiconductor manufacturing. They are often used in applications that require high precision, high speeds, and resistance to corrosion, such as in jet engines, electric motors, and surgical equipment.

5. How do I maintain and prolong the lifespan of a small silicon nitride ball bearing?

To maintain and prolong the lifespan of a small silicon nitride ball bearing, it is important to keep it clean and properly lubricated. Regularly inspecting and replacing the bearing if necessary can also help prevent any potential issues. Additionally, avoiding excessive loads and operating within the recommended speed limits can also help extend the lifespan of the bearing.