Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small silicon nitride ball bearing

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    Hello, I need a small cageless, angular contact silicon nitride ball bearing (preferably deep groove) that is roughly 5 mm to 7 mm in inside diameter. This is to be used in a small model jet engine.

I have been looking for hours but can't find anything. Does anyone know where I can get a bearing like this? I really need some help here, or a lead on where to find something like this.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2
    Bump.

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    Final bump. Anyone?

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi guss. I suspect there's nothing readily available to the hobbiest. Have you tried contacting your local SFK distributor? I seem to remember talking to one of their applications engineers a few years ago and he mentioned that SKF is now making them. Or just look for ceramic bearing manufacturers in Google, ThomasNet.com or similar web page. I suspect you'll need to talk to distributors or manufacturers directly to get an answer. The bearings won't be cheap, but you'll get a lot of help selecting a bearing and support for design if you go that route.

6. Sep 14, 2012 #5
    Thanks! I had contacted a few other bearing providers, but I hadn't heard of SKF. I just looked around their store (didn't seem to find anything, but I had trouble searching anyway) for a bit and sent them an email.

I know bearings that meet my specification exist because I know of someone who purchased some recently. It's just a scavenger hunt trying to find them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook