Help designing bearing influenced by spring

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a vertical wave machine that involves a big bearing rotating at a constant speed and causing the ladder with rods to rotate a 1/4 turn when it touches another bearing. The parameters, such as torque and diameter, are known but there is a need for help in calculating the contact line of the bearings. Suggestions are given for using gears with missing teeth instead of a cam arrangement and for using a small diameter roller to follow the eccentric cam. Concerns are raised about potential jamming and wear and lubrication. It is mentioned that the direction of rotation in the picture is incorrect and that the spring is responsible for initiating the wave movement.
Yes it kinda the same.
but now I return to my original question - how to design / determine the size and shape of the Cam so it will make only 90°

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I had a play around using sketchup to try draw Baluncore's proposal...

I'm no expert on Sketchup but I was able to produce this in about 30mins using the "Curve Maker" extension from the Extension Warehouse to draw an Archimedes spiral. I'm not suggesting you use this drawing but it's one way to approach it.

The 100mm long output arm rotates through a 90 degree arc. I offset the centre of the cam by 50mm along the 45 degree diagonal. Cant really justify this layout technically other than it looks about right and I think the forces on the cam follower should be reasonably uniform with this general layout? Although perhaps not optimal.

I've not allowed for the diameter of the cam follower wheel. The spiral is also over 360 degrees not the 270 degrees as requested.

Spiral.jpg

Likes Baluncore
Well guys thanks for all your suggestions and ideas.
I will keep you updated.

During my period of being a product development engineer the company had us attend a seminar on creativity and problem solving; and, although I remember little of that seminar, one statement has always stayed with me and that statement was " When brain storming for a solution to a problem you not through until you have visualized at least eight ways to solve it, even if some of them are not practical or possible they will open up your mind to possible routes to a solution"

<h2>1. How does a spring influence the design of a bearing?</h2><p>A spring can influence the design of a bearing by providing additional support and stability, reducing friction and wear, and absorbing shock and vibrations. The type and placement of the spring in relation to the bearing must be carefully considered to ensure optimal performance.</p><h2>2. What factors should be considered when designing a bearing influenced by a spring?</h2><p>When designing a bearing influenced by a spring, factors such as the load capacity, operating conditions, type of bearing, type of spring, and material selection must be taken into account. It is important to carefully analyze the specific application and its requirements to determine the most suitable design.</p><h2>3. Can any type of spring be used in a bearing design?</h2><p>No, not all types of springs are suitable for use in a bearing design. The type of spring used must be able to withstand the load and operating conditions of the bearing, and must also be compatible with the type of bearing being used. Common types of springs used in bearing designs include coil springs, wave springs, and Belleville washers.</p><h2>4. How can a spring help to extend the lifespan of a bearing?</h2><p>A spring can help to extend the lifespan of a bearing by reducing friction and wear, absorbing shock and vibrations, and providing additional support and stability. This can help to prevent premature failure and prolong the overall lifespan of the bearing.</p><h2>5. Are there any disadvantages to using a spring in a bearing design?</h2><p>While there are many benefits to using a spring in a bearing design, there are also some potential disadvantages to consider. These may include increased complexity and cost of the design, potential for spring failure, and the need for regular maintenance and replacement of the spring. It is important to carefully weigh these factors when deciding whether to incorporate a spring into a bearing design.</p>

1. How does a spring influence the design of a bearing?

A spring can influence the design of a bearing by providing additional support and stability, reducing friction and wear, and absorbing shock and vibrations. The type and placement of the spring in relation to the bearing must be carefully considered to ensure optimal performance.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a bearing influenced by a spring?

When designing a bearing influenced by a spring, factors such as the load capacity, operating conditions, type of bearing, type of spring, and material selection must be taken into account. It is important to carefully analyze the specific application and its requirements to determine the most suitable design.

3. Can any type of spring be used in a bearing design?

No, not all types of springs are suitable for use in a bearing design. The type of spring used must be able to withstand the load and operating conditions of the bearing, and must also be compatible with the type of bearing being used. Common types of springs used in bearing designs include coil springs, wave springs, and Belleville washers.

4. How can a spring help to extend the lifespan of a bearing?

A spring can help to extend the lifespan of a bearing by reducing friction and wear, absorbing shock and vibrations, and providing additional support and stability. This can help to prevent premature failure and prolong the overall lifespan of the bearing.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a spring in a bearing design?

While there are many benefits to using a spring in a bearing design, there are also some potential disadvantages to consider. These may include increased complexity and cost of the design, potential for spring failure, and the need for regular maintenance and replacement of the spring. It is important to carefully weigh these factors when deciding whether to incorporate a spring into a bearing design.