Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Small thing that can cook/grill near everything

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1
    I am trying to find a small portable grill/oven in which I can cook near everything: eggs, chicken, bbq, toasts, sausages, ..

I remember once a thread about those little things but I don't remember any unique keyword.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

Hmm.. some iron rust filings mixed together with aluminum powder, ignited over a brick with some magnesium strips.. or good old potassium permanganate with glycerin over it.. Nothing like a good ol Cooking with Thermite.

Hey you did say 'everything' right :biggrin:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  4. Aug 16, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's called a toaster oven. They come with different bells and whistles depending on price, some are even convection.

5. Aug 16, 2010 #4
    I wish I were in Chem Eng :rofl:

I have been moving a lot for these years and it is getting harder and harder to find good and cheaper food. Looks like toaster oven would be perfect for me! Thanks, Evo :)

6. Aug 17, 2010 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

A George Foreman Grill? Interestingly enough, I watched an interview on Leno (I think) where Hulk Hogan claimed he just missed the boat on the grill and had to settle for the Hulk Hogan Blender (guess the claim has been repeated elsewhere as the 'one that got away'):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreman_grill#Competition

The rest, as they say, is history.

7. Aug 17, 2010 #6
    Yes, that's what I was talking about in my OP. I remember seeing it on the PF before.

8. Aug 17, 2010 #7

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and I have this one. It has three quartz heating elements on bottom and three on top, with electronic controls to cycle them if needed. When we need to bake a couple of potatoes, broil some chicken parts, make toast, etc, this oven does all those really well. The convection feature is nice. Previously, we had a De'Longhi toaster oven. Less expensive, but it didn't perform as well.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CD4Q8wIwAQ#

9. Aug 17, 2010 #8

Evo

That's a very nice one turbo. That can do just about anything someone would need.

10. Aug 17, 2010 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Kinda pricey, but the quality and features make it worth the cost, IMO. Plus, it's nice not to have to fire up the big gas oven for little jobs, and overheat the kitchen. This toaster oven has taken on some tasks previously dedicated to the microwave, too.

Maybe a bit expensive initially for someone who is trying to pinch pennies, but it will pay off for anyone who will prepare their own food instead of buying take-out or frozen dinners. I wish I had one of these when I was a single apartment-dweller. Broil a chicken thigh, bake a potato, steam some vegetables on the range, and there's supper. With my full-sized oven and range, I generally cooked way too much and had to deal with left-overs. Of course, no microwaves back in the stone age, so re-heating left-overs was always a hurdle.

11. Aug 17, 2010 #10

Evo

I saw a nice one, convection too, for around $60. Not as high quality, but would certainly be fine for a college student, I was tempted to buy it, but I had so little counter space. Everytime I heat up my huge oven for some small thing, I kick myself for not having one. I can store it in the oven when not in use. :tongue2:

12. Aug 18, 2010 #11
    I hate to say this, but, ugh, microwave?

Yes, of course, it doesn't toast. My folks have a little toaster oven they purchased for the same reason that most purchase them - they're tired of using their oven to cook a meal suitable for two people.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook