Small thing that can cook/grill near everything

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary: I remember when I first got my toaster oven, I used it to make toast all the time. I don't anymore. Maybe a bit expensive initially for someone who is trying to pinch pennies, but it will pay off for anyone who will prepare their own food instead of buying take-out or frozen dinners.
rootX
I am trying to find a small portable grill/oven in which I can cook near everything: eggs, chicken, bbq, toasts, sausages, ..

I remember once a thread about those little things but I don't remember any unique keyword.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm.. some iron rust filings mixed together with aluminum powder, ignited over a brick with some magnesium strips.. or good old potassium permanganate with glycerin over it.. Nothing like a good ol Cooking with Thermite.

Hey you did say 'everything' right :biggrin:

Last edited:
rootX said:
I am trying to find a small portable grill/oven in which I can cook near everything: eggs, chicken, bbq, toasts, sausages, ..

I remember once a thread about those little things but I don't remember any unique keyword.
It's called a toaster oven. They come with different bells and whistles depending on price, some are even convection.

cronxeh said:
Hmm.. some iron rust filings mixed together with aluminum powder, ignited over a brick with some magnesium strips.. or good old potassium permanganate with glycerin over it.. Nothing like a good ol Cooking with Thermite.

Hey you did say 'everything' right :biggrin:

I wish I were in Chem Eng :rofl:

I have been moving a lot for these years and it is getting harder and harder to find good and cheaper food. Looks like toaster oven would be perfect for me! Thanks, Evo :)

A George Foreman Grill? Interestingly enough, I watched an interview on Leno (I think) where Hulk Hogan claimed he just missed the boat on the grill and had to settle for the Hulk Hogan Blender (guess the claim has been repeated elsewhere as the 'one that got away'):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreman_grill#Competition

The rest, as they say, is history.

MATLABdude said:
A George Foreman Grill?

Yes, that's what I was talking about in my OP. I remember seeing it on the PF before.

My wife and I have this one. It has three quartz heating elements on bottom and three on top, with electronic controls to cycle them if needed. When we need to bake a couple of potatoes, broil some chicken parts, make toast, etc, this oven does all those really well. The convection feature is nice. Previously, we had a De'Longhi toaster oven. Less expensive, but it didn't perform as well.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CD4Q8wIwAQ#

turbo-1 said:
My wife and I have this one. It has three quartz heating elements on bottom and three on top, with electronic controls to cycle them if needed. When we need to bake a couple of potatoes, broil some chicken parts, make toast, etc, this oven does all those really well. The convection feature is nice. Previously, we had a De'Longhi toaster oven. Less expensive, but it didn't perform as well.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CD4Q8wIwAQ#
That's a very nice one turbo. That can do just about anything someone would need.

Evo said:
That's a very nice one turbo. That can do just about anything you'll need.
Kinda pricey, but the quality and features make it worth the cost, IMO. Plus, it's nice not to have to fire up the big gas oven for little jobs, and overheat the kitchen. This toaster oven has taken on some tasks previously dedicated to the microwave, too.

Maybe a bit expensive initially for someone who is trying to pinch pennies, but it will pay off for anyone who will prepare their own food instead of buying take-out or frozen dinners. I wish I had one of these when I was a single apartment-dweller. Broil a chicken thigh, bake a potato, steam some vegetables on the range, and there's supper. With my full-sized oven and range, I generally cooked way too much and had to deal with left-overs. Of course, no microwaves back in the stone age, so re-heating left-overs was always a hurdle.

I saw a nice one, convection too, for around $60. Not as high quality, but would certainly be fine for a college student, I was tempted to buy it, but I had so little counter space. Everytime I heat up my huge oven for some small thing, I kick myself for not having one. I can store it in the oven when not in use. :tongue2:

I hate to say this, but, ugh, microwave?

Yes, of course, it doesn't toast. My folks have a little toaster oven they purchased for the same reason that most purchase them - they're tired of using their oven to cook a meal suitable for two people.

1. What is a small thing that can cook/grill near everything?

A small thing that can cook/grill near everything is a versatile cooking appliance that is designed to cook a variety of foods, such as meat, vegetables, and even desserts. It is compact in size, making it perfect for small spaces or for use while camping or traveling.

2. How does it work?

The small thing that can cook/grill near everything uses a combination of heat and direct contact with food to cook or grill. It typically has a heating element or flame source that heats up a cooking surface, such as a grill or griddle. The food is then placed on the surface and cooked to the desired level of doneness.

3. What types of foods can be cooked or grilled with it?

The small thing that can cook/grill near everything can be used to cook a wide range of foods, including meats (such as chicken, steak, and fish), vegetables, sandwiches, and even desserts (such as pancakes or grilled fruit). Some models may also have additional features, such as a rotisserie or smoker function, that allow for even more cooking options.

4. Is it safe to use?

Yes, the small thing that can cook/grill near everything is generally safe to use as long as it is used according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is important to ensure that the cooking surface is clean and free of any debris before use, and to handle the appliance with care to avoid burns or other injuries.

5. Is it easy to clean?

Cleaning the small thing that can cook/grill near everything will depend on the specific model and its features. However, most models have removable cooking surfaces and drip trays that can be easily cleaned with soap and water. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for the best way to clean your specific appliance.