Smallest Possible Slope for Tangent Line to y=2x^3-6x^2+10x+3 on Interval [-2,2]

  • Thread starter Thread starter Emethyst
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Slope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Emethyst
Messages
117
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the smallest possible slope for a tangent line to y=2x^3-6x^2+10x+3 on the interval [-2,2]?



Homework Equations


implicit differentation



The Attempt at a Solution


Another question that should be easy, yet that I am finding frustrating. To me what it looks like I need to do is take the derivative of the formula and then find any other critical points to use the Algorithm for Extreme Values. The only problem I seem to be having is finding these other critical points because the derivative will not factor. I know 1 is the value for x I need, because the answer is 4 (found the value for x through simple guess and check), but I do not know how to go about finding it or a similar value. Any help for this question would be great, thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Emethyst!

You want to find the minimum of the derivative (since it is always positive). So you have to look for zeros of the second derivative, not the first.
 
Ohh now I see where the 1 came from, thanks for the help yyat, don't think I would've spotted that otherwise :smile: