Smoke about 10 cigarettes a day?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smoke
In summary: And to start at 24? What? Why?? I think 10 a day, for only smoking 6 weeks, is a heck of alot. Well, I think it's bad for people that have been smoking for years.
Holocene
How worried should I be that I smoke about 10 cigarettes a day?

I'm 24, and only want to live to about 60 or so.

Will I seriously die ealier from smoking?

Hope this thread is allowed: as I know it's not an "in-depth" medical discussion.

Biology news on Phys.org

Do you believe that 10 per day is adequately low? How will you view this when you are 60 years old? What quality of health do you want by the time you reach 60 years?

At the very least, inhaling smoke is dirty. More than that, toxic materials go into your circulatory system and reach many parts of your body when you inhale smoke.

In case anyone disagrees with my manner of expression here, feel free to respond.

I am 56. I have a lot of my life left (I hope) and would be ashamed to think that I would willingly engage in practices that would kill me that quick. My father is 82. My mother-in-law is 92. Are you so willing to give up your life early for the opportunity to engage in unhealthy practices now? It's your choice, but I don't see where smoking gives you a fun (short) life and balances.

When you're young, you just can't *value* how much your life will mean to you when you're older. Life becomes more precious, the older you get.

The pleasure you get from a smoke is nothing, compared to good health in middle and old age.

Holocene said:

Hope this thread is allowed: as I know it's not an "in-depth" medical discussion.
Dying at 60 is dying early, but if you only want to live to 60, then it is fine that you are smoking. Your average life expectancy at birth is 76. Smoking will help you attain your goal of dying early.

I should probably quit now. Have only been smoking for about 6 weeks.

Holocene said:
I should probably quit now. Have only been smoking for about 6 weeks.

Why did you start smoking at 24? I can understand youngsters starting to smoke (since I did-- I started probably when I was around 15, and only quit around 8 months ago) but I can't comprehend why someone would want to start smoking at such an old age!

cristo said:
Why did you start smoking at 24? I can understand youngsters starting to smoke (since I did-- I started probably when I was around 15, and only quit around 8 months ago) but I can't comprehend why someone would want to start smoking at such an old age!

not sure, but "old age"?

ha, you're probably right. Life is indeed slipping away..;.:cry:

Holocene said:
not sure, but "old age"?

Meaning you should be old enough to know better, not a stupid kid or susceptible to peer pressure anymore...so, really, I'm puzzled too...why would you start smoking at such a mature age as 24?

Moonbear said:
Meaning you should be old enough to know better, not a stupid kid or susceptible to peer pressure anymore...so, really, I'm puzzled too...why would you start smoking at such a mature age as 24?

eh, I was never peer-pressured. Tried a cig several weeks ago, you know, just to try it. Well, I got somewhat used to it.

Stupid thing to do? Of course.

Holocene said:
eh, I was never peer-pressured. Tried a cig several weeks ago, you know, just to try it. Well, I got somewhat used to it.

I'm still baffled. If you tried smoking now, and decided to start, then what stopped you trying it years ago when you were a susceptible teenager?

cristo said:
I'm still baffled. If you tried smoking now, and decided to start, then what stopped you trying it years ago when you were a susceptible teenager?

hmm, I don't know. I fully admit I'm behind the 8-ball in terms of maturity though.

I'm quitting after having one a day for about a year.
You should cut back to at least 2-3 a day, in my opinion. Whenever I did exceed my 'daily dose' I didn't enjoy it as much. Then again, that's my advice, and I'm not your average smoker.

I don't really even get the point of smoking...I have never laid hands on one, nor do I plan to. I see more bad that can come of it than good.

And to start at 24? What? Why?? I think 10 a day, for only smoking 6 weeks, is a heck of alot. Well, I think it's bad for people that have been smoking for years.

You should stop while you can. My grandfather smoked for a long time with his buddies and then he decided to quit about 30 years ago, while his buddies still continued to smoke. Most of his smoking buddies had serious lung issues later on and are dead now, while my grandfather is still alive.

What if you reach 60 years and you realize life is good? You might have grandchildren that you want to watch grow up...or maybe you discovered a new hobby that you want to become accomplished at before you die!

But you can't live long enough because back when you were 24 you decided that you only wanted to live to 60!

Holocene said:

Very. You stand a very good change of soon working your way up to a pack a day habit. Once this happens, you've got a long, hard road ahead of you when you decide that you want to quit.

Holocene said:

Trust me, the older you get the more you want to cling to life. You may think now that 60 is a ripe old age, but when you've got a few more years under your belt the prospect of dying as young as sixty will seem obscene. For some context on this, my father died at the age of 69, which is terribly, terribly young given his lifestyle, where he lived, and his socio-economic status at the time of his death.

Dying at 60 would be pretty terrible, to be honest.

Holocene said:

Will you definitely die earlier? No. But that rather misses the point: life expectancy is inherently probabilistic; the life expectancy of a smoker in the developed world is far, far shorter than that of a non-smoker. I'm paraphrasing a bit but the latest research I've read suggests that if you quit by 40 and manage to survive the next ten years after that, you've got essentially the same life expectancy as someone who never smoked.

That said, don't be fooled into thinking you can survive until 40 as a smoker. The number of people who die as a result of smoking before they reach 40 is pretty shocking.

Do consider that you could die a very painful and prolonged death from smoking, not just from cancer.

I know how hard it is to quit, so I'm one to talk, but one should at least be aware of possible outcomes.

What are the health risks of smoking 10 cigarettes a day?

Smoking 10 cigarettes a day significantly increases the risk of developing lung cancer, heart disease, stroke, and respiratory diseases. It can also lead to other health issues such as decreased immune function, increased risk of infections, and premature aging.

How does smoking 10 cigarettes a day affect non-smokers?

Secondhand smoke from smoking 10 cigarettes a day can also have harmful effects on non-smokers, increasing their risk of developing lung cancer, heart disease, and respiratory issues. It can also worsen existing health conditions, such as asthma.

Can smoking 10 cigarettes a day be beneficial for any medical conditions?

No, there is no medical condition for which smoking 10 cigarettes a day is beneficial. In fact, smoking can worsen many medical conditions and decrease the effectiveness of medications.

What are some other negative effects of smoking 10 cigarettes a day?

Besides the increased risk of serious health issues, smoking 10 cigarettes a day can also lead to bad breath, yellow teeth, premature wrinkles, and a decreased sense of taste and smell. It can also be a costly habit and can harm relationships with non-smokers.

Is it possible to reverse the damage of smoking 10 cigarettes a day?

Quitting smoking can greatly improve your health and decrease your risk of developing smoking-related diseases. While it may not be possible to reverse all of the damage caused by smoking, the sooner you quit, the more your body can heal and repair itself.