Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The first day without a cigarette

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1

radou

Homework Helper

As the thread title says, I managed to get through a day without smoking cigarettes. This is nothing special, since I caught a cold and I'm coughing, so I shouldn't be smoking. But there were times when I was dumb enough to smoke while coughing, which is probably the most devastating thing you can do to your respiratory system. :uhh: So, I'm showing progress. o:) Anyway, I'm very interested in how long I'll last without cigarettes. Tomorrow is the test day number 2 - wish me luck! :tongue2:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you plan to quit smoking, I wish you all the best.

Just remember: It's only difficult if you think it is. Be very active and do a lot of things to get your mind focused on other things.

4. Nov 26, 2006 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Galileo, thanks for the tip, I'm aware of that fact. Btw, I've learned one thing from all my previous attempts: if you really want to quit smoking, never shout out loud about it. So I didn't. At least not yet. :smile:

5. Nov 26, 2006 #4
    "never shout out loud about it" as in don't have a temper tantrum about quitting or don't tell the whole world about quitting?

6. Nov 26, 2006 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Cigarettes are bad and you should STOP smoking them.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  7. Nov 26, 2006 #6

radou

Homework Helper

Don't tell the whole world about quitting, since there's a high probability you won't manage to quit, and turn you'll out to be an idiot again. :biggrin:

8. Nov 26, 2006 #7
    Arent pipes the worst for Phlegm?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2006
  9. Nov 26, 2006 #8

Evo

You don't inhale pipes or cigars. It only goes into your mouth, the only smoke in the lungs is from smoke in the room, which is not good, but not as bad as inhaling cigarettes.

10. Nov 26, 2006 #9
    There is a new cigar store down the road, I might stop buy and get a few.

Pipe smells good, but its for old fogies.

11. Nov 26, 2006 #10

radou

Homework Helper

That's true, but I'm sure you're aware that lungs aren't the only organs getting damaged while smoking.

Anyway, pipes smell good. That's the only reason they're better than cigarettes. Further on, if one smokes a pipe, he should pretty much make sure that the pipe 'fits' well on him/her, since, as cyrusabdollahi pointed out, you may look pretty idiotic with a pipe if it doesn't suit you. :smile:

12. Nov 26, 2006 #11

Evo

I used to smoke macanudos at the local cigar bar, buy those.

Well, actually, guys would buy me those and I could make awesome smoke rings.

13. Nov 26, 2006 #12

:rofl: You're awesome! Cigars ant that bad, right? They are just tobacco, not filled with trash like cigs.

14. Nov 26, 2006 #13

radou

Homework Helper

Yeah, right. :tongue2:

15. Nov 26, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good luck! Expect to have some difficulty concentrating while going through the withdrawal period. Then again, if you're already sick, you might not notice what's due to the withdrawal and what's due to the illness. :wink:

16. Nov 26, 2006 #15

radou

Homework Helper

Actually, I don't believe withdrawal periods are tough, except you're a smoker for over 20 years or so. In the end, it's all an individual matter, I guess.

17. Nov 26, 2006 #16
    When I was quitting, the hardest part was always standing at the bus stop without a smoke or being somewhere where I always used to light up. After about 3 months of not smoking I didn't even think about it anymore though, I still have a pack of smokes sitting right next to me (in my desk) and haven't even been tempted to have one for a year or so. (lol, I bet they wouldn't be of the highest quality anymore anyway.)

My Stats:
    Your Quit Date is: 5/16/2004

Time Smoke-Free: 924 days, 18 hours, 22 minutes and 54 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 23119

Lifetime Saved: 5 months, 26 days, 14 hours

Money Saved: $9,702.00

lol :smile:

18. Nov 26, 2006 #17

radou

Homework Helper

..I wonder what money I saved in these 24 hours. :biggrin:

19. Nov 26, 2006 #18
    Lol I hadn't checked my stats at www.quitnet.com for like a year and was shocked at the number of cig's I didn't smoke. After some calculation assuming a cigg is 7.5cm, the cigs I didn't smoke if lied down end to end would stretch 1.73KM = 1.08mi down the road. lol

20. Nov 26, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess you can tell us if you have the same opinion after a few days. :wink:

21. Nov 26, 2006 #20

Evo

Yes, they are not as bad as cigarettes.

Ooh, look, you can buy a box of Macanudos for $245, a fraction of the $29 per cigar they cost at the bar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?