The Dangers of Smoking Cigarettes

• Thread starter tumor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses smoking and the various opinions and experiences of the individuals involved. Some of them smoke regularly, while others do not smoke at all or only occasionally. The health risks and consequences of smoking are also mentioned, such as cancer and the negative effects on one's breath. Lung transplants are briefly mentioned as a possible option for those with lung diseases, and the conversation also touches on other substances such as alcohol and coffee. Overall, the conversation highlights the varied attitudes towards smoking and the potential consequences of this habit.
tumor
Who of you is still smoking cigarettes ?
I do :approve: :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't blame you. Aren't they yummy? Not like having toxic fumes in your mouth & lungs at all. :uhh:

I don't...well, not more than once or twice a year.

Gokul43201 said:
I don't...well, not more than once or twice a year.
Gokul I'm shocked! Hasn't anyone told you that kissing someone that smokes is like licking a dirty ashtray! :yuck: What if on that ONE day you smoke you meet your hottie with the large melons and you have ashtray breath?

Warning: don't click on this link if you are a smoker, or are having lunch:
http://www.lungnc.org/tobacco/mouthcancers.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
My teeth look almost like in top middle picture.

smoking can cause cancer, die painfully.

I do not smoke, but i drink some beer.

This post is only to test something I’m curious about but as long as I’m here;

Who smokes ?
What was the old joke? Oh yes;

Q: Do you smoke after sex?
A: I don’t know, I never looked.

Gave it up in 1964. Absolutely no desire for years now.

Added: When I quit a carton of Winstons could be had for $5. I am so glad I'm not smoking today!

Update :

Code:
I SMOKE          I DON'T

tumor              42 ?
arildno           gokul
marlon             evo
                   SA 
                   chi
                  franz
                 Boulder
                 dexter
                  Andy

Last edited:
I never did and never will.I don't take dope,i don't drink alcohol,i don't smoke,i hate coffee...

Daniel.

The only "substance" i touch is booze. I make up for my abstinence of the others by using lots of booze.

I will never smoke. My liver can be replaced, my lungs can't.

Lungs can be transplanted too,it's just that is costs more to find a dead guy who hasn't smoked... :tongue2:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Lungs can be transplanted too,it's just that is costs more to find a dead guy who hasn't smoked... :tongue2:

Daniel.

Really? I've never heard of lung transplants, i just assumed given the inability to keep a person alive while lungs are out that it couldn't be or just wasn't done

franznietzsche said:
Really? I've never heard of lung transplants, i just assumed given the inability to keep a person alive while lungs are out that it couldn't be or just wasn't done

I'm sorry,i haven't documented my statement.If it's proven wrong,then u can take it as a joke...A rather bad one... :yuck:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I'm sorry,i haven't documented my statement.If it's proven wrong,then u can take it as a joke...A rather bad one... :yuck:

Daniel.

Meh, dead guys are always funny...

dextercioby said:
I never did and never will.I don't take dope,i don't drink alcohol,i don't smoke,i hate coffee...

Daniel.
WHAT??
Not COFFEE?? :confused:

You don't drink..TEA,do you? :yuck:

arildno said:
WHAT??
Not COFFEE?? :confused:

You don't drink..TEA,do you? :yuck:

Nope,as i said,i hate coffee... :yuck: Tea,very rarely,as I'm to lazy to make myself... :tongue2:

Daniel.

I SMOKE : GAULOISES BLONDES AND MARLBORO, just to switch...I love to drink red wine and i adore coffee...
occasionally i appreciated some nice cigars after a nice meal...

marlon

I don't smoke, but i have had a couple in the past. I smoked a few at a party one night but it never really caught my attention just left me with a soar throat and a nasty taste in my mouth. Have tried wacky baccy in the past and that certainly was an experience not to forget but one that i don't want to repeat. See too many stoners about for my liking.

Gokul43201 said:
Boulder evades once more by use of clever diversion.
Now, you know some things I prefer not to share, lol. I’m a shy & private eye, err, I mean, guy. :shy:

Actually, I no longer smoke (after sex) but have in the past experimented fully with virtually every tobacco product available.

I haven’t smoked cigarettes since 6th grade.
Wait no; I had a drag a couple of summers ago cause a girl I dated smoked. I had to bum a cigarette from a friend for her. Turns out she didn't like Canadian cigarettes... I didn't want to be rude and just toss out the cigarette I just bummed. Anyway, it was disgusting.

franznietzsche said:
People with cystic fibrosis can be given a few extra years with a lung transplant (often it's a heart-lung transplant). I think it would be evil itself if a smoker got a lung in place of a CF sufferer.

As for me? Smoking? Never, never, never, never, never, never, except just that one time, never, never, never, never, ok twice.

Updated count :

Code:
I SMOKE          I DON'T

tumor              42 ?
arildno           gokul
marlon             evo
                   SA 
                   chi
                  franz
                 Boulder
                 dexter
                  Andy
                 check

My grandfather whom I dearly loved was a smoker and he lived to be 86. I remember when I was small and was bitten by mosquitoes, he would rub the ash on the spot to make it stop itching and it did. And as a child of course I must have tried once when he was not looking but I never liked the taste, :yuck: .

I've never even been tempted to try. Just being around second-hand smoke is bad enough; I get the most awful headache and my eyes start to burn. They're talking about possibly following CA's and NY's example and banning smoking in bars and restaurants here, and I can only hope they do! I almost never go out to bars because I can't stand the smoke in them, even though it's fun to play some pool with friends while having a nice draft beer.

Oh dear, Gokul outed me as a smoker..:redface:

Moonbear said:
I've never even been tempted to try. Just being around second-hand smoke is bad enough; I get the most awful headache and my eyes start to burn. They're talking about possibly following CA's and NY's example and banning smoking in bars and restaurants here, and I can only hope they do! I almost never go out to bars because I can't stand the smoke in them, even though it's fun to play some pool with friends while having a nice draft beer.

yeah second hand smoke drives me nuts too. Nasty stuff really.

Smoking is nasty. The worst is when you are having diner at a restaurant and someone lights up a sigarette, you can't even taste your own food anymore. I'm SO glad they are starting to ban smoking in public and work areas.

Second hand smoking can be very harmful, especially when you already have an intollerance to irritants. It's annoying when people are completely oblivious of that. My friend was on his way to developing chronic bronchitis due to second hand smoking at work, because they were too lazy to step outside and just kept standing in the doorway.

arildno said:
Oh dear, Gokul outed me as a smoker..:redface:

Not denying it, are you ?

Gokul43201 said:
Not denying it, are you ?
Arildno smokes?

Monique said:
Second hand smoking can be very harmful, especially when you already have an intollerance to irritants. It's annoying when people are completely oblivious of that. My friend was on his way to developing chronic bronchitis due to second hand smoking at work, because they were too lazy to step outside and just kept standing in the doorway.

Sorry but this is very weak...Either your friend's collegues are complete *******s who do not respect his physical constellation or your friend has no spine to walk out himself or tell them...

I smoke and i completely agree with the banning of sigarettes in public places. I understand the nuisance and non-smokers should come first. Really i agree with this. But don't blame this situation of your friend on others. He is a big boy, he should have reacted himself...This is a childish argument and it is to some extent his own fault...

marlon (runs and hides)

I do not smoke, and I do not plan on starting.

Evo said:
Arildno smokes?

You tried living in Norway ? :wink:

I can't help it; its my orientation.

I'll go back in my closet whenever I feel my unnatural urges overtake me.