Can Smooth Functions be Extended on Manifolds?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of extending a smooth mapping between open subsets of smooth manifolds to a smooth mapping between the entire manifolds. It is shown that by using bump functions, one can construct a smooth extension of the mapping on a neighborhood of any given point. This technique is commonly used in mathematics and can be found in textbooks such as Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds."
JYM
I have been stuck several days with the following problem.
Suppose M and N are smooth manifolds, U an open subset of M , and F: U → N is smooth. Show that there exists a neighborhood V of any p in U, V contained in U, such that F can be extended to a smooth mapping F*: M → N with F(q)=F*(q) for all q in V. [smooth means C-infinity].
I try to use charts to get a smooth map between Euclidean spaces and I know how to extend such maps. but I get a difficulty in transforming to the original problem. If you have some hint please well come. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure this is the correct set-up? I do not understand the role of ##U##. You have ##p \in V \subseteq U \stackrel{F}{\longrightarrow} N## no information about ##F## outside of ##U## and want to extend ##F|_V##. What do you need ##U## for, and what if ##F## isn't smooth on ##M-U\;##? If we don't have to bother points not in ##U##, then we probably need to extend ##F## trivially outside of ##U##, independent of ##F##. But then, what do we need ##V## for? I'm confused.

Yes it is correct. It is given that the map F is smooth only on U.

JYM said:
Yes it is correct. It is given that the map F is smooth only on U.
Do you have a group action on ##M## which allows to transport ##U## to other neighborhoods?
As stated you could choose ##V=U##.

I new for the group action concept and the problem is before that. what i want to use is charts. i upload my trial.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 512
O.k. then it doesn't play a role what happens outside of ##U##. All we need is any smooth function extending ##F##. That's where the bump function comes into play. The w.l.o.g. assumption is only, because the language is easier this way. It works in all other cases the same way, we would only need two additional diffeomorphisms to "translate" the bump function into the general case back and forth. This would complicate the notation, but wouldn't change the statement. The restriction to ##V\subseteq U## is only to gain space for the bump function to change smoothly from ##1## inside ##V## and ##0## outside of ##U##.

Likes JYM
I know this is generic but usually partitions of unity usually are used in these extensions. But I think you need a closedness condition, e.g., for 1/x , smooth on (0,1), which does not extend to the left.

WWGD said:
I know this is generic but usually partitions of unity usually are used in these extensions. But I think you need a closedness condition, e.g., for 1/x , smooth on (0,1), which does not extend to the left.
That's where ##V=(\frac{1}{4},\frac{3}{4})## comes into play: now it extends to the left, as nobody is interested in ##U=(0,1)## anymore.

fresh_42 said:
That's where ##V=(\frac{1}{4},\frac{3}{4})## comes into play: now it extends to the left, as nobody is interested in ##U=(0,1)## anymore.
But the order seems to be wrong. If V contained in U, how are we making an extension? Isn't it a restriction in this case?

WWGD said:
But the order seems to be wrong. If V contained in U, how are we making an extension? Isn't it a restriction in this case?
That's what confused me, too, at the beginning but the picture cleared it. ##F^*## has little to do with ##F## except on ##V##. It is any smooth extension of ##F|_V##. The restriction from ##U## to ##V## is only needed to have space for the bump. The entire theorem could as well be stated as: We always have a smooth bump function ##F^*## whenever a function ##F## is smooth somewhere, extending it at (in a neighborhood of) this point.

Something like this:
upload_2018-4-5_17-45-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-5_17-45-0.png
    upload_2018-4-5_17-45-0.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Likes Spinnor and JYM
this is not an easy problem for a beginner but there is a standard technique for it. Using products of translates and reflections of the function e^(-1/x^2), one constructs a function that equals 1 on an interval around a given point and equals zero off a slightly larger interval, (bump function). then by taking products one does the same for a cube around a given point in n space. Then given that a manifold looks locally like an open cube, one gives the desired construction. a standard reference is perhaps spivak's calculus on manifolds.

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_function

Last edited:
Likes lavinia, Spinnor and jim mcnamara

What is a smooth extension on manifolds?

A smooth extension on manifolds is a mathematical concept that refers to the ability to extend a smooth function defined on a subset of a manifold to the entire manifold in a smooth manner. This means that the function will have the same smoothness properties on the extended domain as it does on the original subset.

Why is smooth extension important?

Smooth extension is important because it allows us to work with complicated functions defined on a subset of a manifold, and extend them to the entire manifold without losing the smoothness properties. This can be useful in many areas of mathematics, including differential geometry, topology, and mathematical physics.

What are some examples of smooth extensions?

One example of a smooth extension is extending a function defined on a subset of the real line to the entire real line. Another example is extending a function defined on a subset of a sphere to the entire sphere. In general, any smooth function defined on a subset of a manifold can be extended to the entire manifold in a smooth manner.

What are the challenges of smooth extension on manifolds?

One of the main challenges of smooth extension on manifolds is finding a suitable extension that maintains the smoothness properties of the original function. This can be difficult in some cases, especially when dealing with highly complicated manifolds. Additionally, there may be multiple ways to extend a function, and choosing the most appropriate one can be a challenge.

Are there any applications of smooth extension on manifolds?

Yes, there are many applications of smooth extension on manifolds in various fields of mathematics and physics. For example, in differential geometry, smooth extensions are used to study smooth manifolds and their properties. In physics, smooth extensions are used to describe physical systems in a smooth and continuous manner, which is essential for understanding their behavior.