Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SNL strikes again

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2
    "Adorable"

In all honesty...how many people (voters) do you estimate watched that piece and DIDN"T see anything wrong with what she said...that's the scary part.

4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    Like Kennedy in 1960 (women voters)...how many guys will vote for her (and McCain) because of her "features"?

5. Sep 28, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Good skit again! That really was a horrendous interview. I somehow kept waiting for her to tell us Americans just need maps.

6. Sep 28, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Great skit! And I was impressed with the "gets cuter under pressure" observation. I had missed that one.

Apparently [as reported by one CNN pundit... I think David Gergen] even people within the McCain camp privately admit that the interview with Couric was a disaster.

7. Sep 28, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Privately? It's been plastered all over the news. A few tried to make excuses for it, that it's because she's had so few interviews everyone is hanging on every word of one (well, duh, but that's another issue entirely), but I haven't heard anyone try to claim it was in any way successful. She came across like a complete ditz!

8. Sep 28, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

CNN has been immersed in the debate and credit crisis. I hadn't seen any of that about Palin yet. What network?

In most settings she probably comes off as an intelligent and engaging woman, and she may well be, but I think she is completely out of her league. Of course she could still redeem herself in the debate.

9. Sep 28, 2008 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Sep 28, 2008 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

How could you miss it?

Also

:uhh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080925/ap_on_el_pr/palin;_ylt=Ap3xR4TEHXlDm044m9BcGGJh24cA

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Sep 28, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

The scariest part of the SNL skit last night was that Fey pretty much had to just repeat what Palin said. Ok, the part about shooing away Russians that are hanging around in Alaska was added, but for the "answer" about the 700 billion dollar bailout, Palin gave Fey all the material needed.

12. Sep 28, 2008 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One did not need to "hang on every word" for that one. It's sort of like we've been listening to a "lite rock" radio station, waiting for something interesting to happen, then they suddenly play "Three blind mice," on a toy piano. You can't help but notice how pathetic the whole thing really is. Palin's got nothing but strings.

13. Sep 28, 2008 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes, I saw that one. Cafferty is my buddy. Also, I was referring to comments directly from the McCain camp. I know she is getting blasted by the media, and rightfully so!

btw, if you didn't hear, his [Cafferty's] wife just died a few weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  14. Sep 28, 2008 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And monkeys COULD fly out of my pooper.

Sorry. I'm livid. And I am, as I have stated before, an ARDENT FAN OF JOHN McCAIN! I became a republican (for a while) because of him. I had been thinking that "hey we win either way with this presidential race: W will be gone!" But this is W. back again!

A sub-genius, likable, reg'lar folk, SHORT-TERM governor (he of an oil-state with low-power governorship, she of an oil-state with nearly the lowest population) is propped up as the next leading candidate by the powers that be (that be oil).

I was looking forward to an administration where the three highest executives were NOT ALL ex oil exectutives ("ex" used loosely: how much from Haliburton this year? the answer is: go F yourself).

Do you remember 8 years ago when W. read his love letter to the public on how his running mate had been "standing next to him the entire time?" Cheney, yes Cheney the fourth branch of government (the unchecked one), picked W.'s running mate! It was so transparent to me at the time. Palin is just as transparent.

If McCain wins, I will wait it out. If in four years, Palin becomes the next presumptive nominee, New Zealand gets five new citizens.

15. Sep 28, 2008 #14
    I don't think you have to worry about Palin being the presumptive choice...remember Dan Quayle?

16. Sep 28, 2008 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess everything but CNN. :uhh: I heard about it every channel I flipped to that had news on the day after the interview, even the local channels that tend toward more conservative views.

I suspect so, in terms of her being an intelligent woman. But, this was the worst nightmare of what could have happened on an interview after such a long period of silence...it justified everyone's fears that they've kept her hiding because she can't give a coherent interview or isn't ready for that level of debate yet. There's just no denying that this interview was horrible...you couldn't even explain it away by editing and media bias if one was so inclined to try. As much of a feminist as I am, I wanted to scream at her, "Just go back to running for president of the PTA!" :eek:

I am curious to see the VP debate, MUCH more so than the presidential debate on Friday. I'm curious to see if she'll redeem herself, stick to a few well-rehearsed talking points, or completely flub like this interview.

17. Sep 28, 2008 #16

turbo

Gold Member

18. Sep 28, 2008 #17

Evo

Palin made my choice in this election easy, before her, I might have voted for McCain. She makes Obama the only safe choice because there is no guarantee that McCain will last 4 years and the thought of her becoming President is too scary to even consider.

19. Sep 28, 2008 #18
    Unless she stands there absolutely tongue tied, she's got no where to go but up in the debate.

20. Sep 28, 2008 #19

Evo

If she talks, she could go down.

Like Abraham Lincoln said "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".

21. Sep 28, 2008 #20
    It doesn't seem like anyone has very high expectations at this point...it's hard to imagine what she'd have to say to look worse. My guess is she'll be WELL prepared for the debate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?