Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So gravity obviously is the differing rates of expansion of Matter vs

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    So gravity obviously is the differing rates of expansion of Matter vs Space. Matter is increasing size faster than space. The more matter you have the faster matter expands in relation to space. Or maybe conversely space is shrinking. I dont know which yet and maybe it relative. Could this explain why matter clusters (galaxies) are increasing in distance in faster in relation to each other faster and faster?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Re: Gravity

Matter does not expand. What you are saying does not make sense.

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3

doh im an idiot...atoms are expanding. so the larger an object is the faster this rate would be. so simple

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Atoms are not expanding.

6. Nov 12, 2011 #5

but black holes...they would be increasing in size the fastest and have no atoms...maybe its subatomic.

7. Nov 12, 2011 #6

obviously it does in relation to space...that why you have gravity

8. Nov 12, 2011 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume maybe you're having trouble expressing what you mean, but what you're saying is nonsensical.

Gravity is the curvature of space due to mass. There's no matter or atoms that are expanding.

I don't know what you're trying to say about black holes.

9. Nov 12, 2011 #8

sure matter doesnt "appear" to be increasing in size. Space is increasing fast enough that it doesnt seem like matter is increasing in size. But the differences of rates of expansion of space and matter when you are near matter, are what make it become apparent

10. Nov 12, 2011 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What evidence do you have that matter is increasing in size? A paper you can refer too? A study?

Your answer will determine whether this thread stays open or gets locked.

11. Nov 12, 2011 #10

maybe inflation never stopped...the rates of expansion could be HUGE.

12. Nov 12, 2011 #11

let me make it simple. You are in space and are not moving. a large object near you is increasing in size rapidly. What happens?

13. Nov 12, 2011 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Answer my question. What evidence do you have that matter is increasing in size?

14. Nov 12, 2011 #13

inertia is gravity...gravity is inertia

15. Nov 12, 2011 #14

I can show the studies for that

16. Nov 12, 2011 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is not true. Objects experience inertia quite happily far from any gravity source. A 100kg man floating in interstellar space is still a 100kg man, and it will take just as much fuel to move him.

You need to do some reading on this subject, ideally from books other than the ones you're reading.

17. Nov 12, 2011 #16

The relationship between gravity and inertia was the motivation for general relativity is expressed in an article Einstein wrote which appeared in the February 17, 1921 issue of Nature:

an gravitation and inertia be identical? This question leads directly to the General Theory of Relativity. Is it not possible for me to regard the earth as free from rotation, if I conceive of the centrifugal force, which acts on all bodies at rest relatively to the earth, as being a "real" gravitational field of gravitation, or part of such a field? If this idea can be carried out, then we shall have proved in very truth the identity of gravitation and inertia. For the same property which is regarded as inertia from the point of view of a system not taking part of the rotation can be interpreted as gravitation when considered with respect to a system that shares this rotation. According to Newton, this interpretation is impossible, because in Newton's theory there is no "real" field of the "Coriolis-field" type. But perhaps Newton's law of field could be replaced by another that fits in with the field which holds with respect to a "rotating" system of co-ordinates? My conviction of the identity of inertial and gravitational mass aroused within me the feeling of absolute confidence in the correctness of this interpretation.

18. Nov 12, 2011 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

None of this answers the question as to what makes you think atoms are expanding.

This thread is flagged for locking. Make your sentences short.

19. Nov 12, 2011 #18

but that man is matter...inertia is the key. We resist movement. We are resisting the expansion of the earth. It doesnt matter if its in space or near a planet.

20. Nov 12, 2011 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You are confused, moving from unrelated point to point, making non-sensical assertions, ignoring specific questions.

This thread is bound for locking.

Take some time to do some reading.

21. Nov 12, 2011 #20

whatever

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook