So I want to bend space lots of times

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of bending paper and space infinite times. It is mentioned that paper has a finite thickness and cannot be folded more than a certain number of times, while 2D space has zero thickness and can be layered infinitely. The idea of using a wrapped-out paper as a metaphor for the universe is also brought up, but it is not a comprehensive explanation. It is suggested to learn more about the current understanding of the universe through sources such as Ned Wright's cosmology FAQ.
So today i decided to start bending my paper few time. Bending my dots i draw on paper. Also i want to bend it infinite times. Can I bend space infinite times all until the space becomes one dot.

Illustration :)

1.jpg

This is my paper and i draw 2 dots on them.

After I bent i draw one more.

2.jpg

And i bent them again.

Assume i can bend them infinite times it will change into infinite long stick?
Can we do that with a space also?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
A couple of ways to address this.

In the case of the paper, it has a finite thickness, so folding it more than a certain number of times will be problematic.
In the case of 2D space, it has zero thickness, so yes you can (hypothetically) layer it infinite times, but it will never gain any thickness.

Likes 3301
DaveC426913 said:
In the case of 2D space, it has zero thickness, so yes you can (hypothetically) layer it infinite times, but it will never gain any thickness.

Can you also tell me why we can't explain Universe as a wrapped-out paper metaphore?

3301 said:
Can you also tell me why we can't explain Universe as a wrapped-out paper metaphore?
What does the metaphor explain?

From single point we have wide Universe space (started unwrapping).

Well, that's not really an explanation.

3301, I recommend taking some time to get familiar with our best current model of the universe in cosmology. It will help you to focus future questions. Ned Wright's cosmology FAQ and tutorial are a good start:

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmolog.htm

In the meantime, this thread is closed.

1. What is meant by "bending space"?

"Bending space" refers to the concept of manipulating the fabric of space-time, which is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of general relativity. This theory suggests that massive objects, such as planets or stars, create a curvature in space-time which can be altered by other massive objects.

2. Can space actually be bent?

While we commonly use the term "bending space", it is important to note that space itself is not a tangible object that can be physically bent. Rather, the curvature of space-time is a mathematical concept that explains the effects of gravity on objects in the universe.

3. How does bending space multiple times affect the universe?

Bending space multiple times can have various effects on the universe, depending on the magnitude and direction of the bends. For example, if two massive objects were to bend space towards each other, they would be pulled closer together by the resulting gravitational force. On the other hand, if space is bent away from an object, it will experience a repulsive force.

4. Is it possible to bend space using technology?

At this point in time, we do not have the technology or capability to bend space on a large scale. However, some scientists are researching ways to create tiny ripples in space-time, known as gravitational waves, using advanced equipment such as laser interferometers.

5. What are the potential applications of bending space multiple times?

The ability to manipulate space-time could have many useful applications, such as improving our understanding of gravity and the universe, developing more accurate navigation systems, and potentially even enabling interstellar travel. However, much more research and development is needed before these potential applications can become a reality.