So, you can't add them unless you convert one to the other.

• Thread starter miked42
  • Start date
In summary, to convert KPa to KJ/Kg, you can use the formula KJ/Kg = KPa x 0.01. This is the only method for adding KPa to KJ/Kg, as these units measure different quantities. The conversion is necessary because KPa measures pressure while KJ/Kg measures energy per unit mass. This conversion can be applied to any substance using the universal conversion factor of 0.01, but the resulting value may vary. KJ/Kg cannot be combined with other units as it is a specific unit for measuring energy per unit mass. It is important to use the correct units for specific measurements or calculations.
miked42

Homework Statement

find ethalpy using Tds relationship

Homework Equations

Tds=dh-vdP

The Attempt at a Solution

i had to reaarange and integrate to solve for enthalpy. but now i need to add a number in KPa to a number in KJ/Kg, can i do this? How do i change KPa to KJ/Kg?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't they don't match - unless there is a bit you are missing.

pressure = kg / (m·s^2)
energy = kg m^2 / s^2

KPa = kg m^1 s^-2
KJ/kg = kg m^2 s^-2 / kg = m^2 s^-2

1. How do I convert KPa to KJ/Kg?

To convert KPa to KJ/Kg, you can use the following formula: KJ/Kg = KPa x 0.01. This will give you the equivalent energy value in KJ/Kg.

2. Is there a specific method for adding KPa to KJ/Kg?

Yes, the only way to add KPa to KJ/Kg is by using the conversion formula: KJ/Kg = KPa x 0.01. You cannot simply add these two units together as they measure different quantities.

3. Why do we need to convert KPa to KJ/Kg?

KPa and KJ/Kg are both units used to measure energy, but they measure energy in different forms. KPa measures pressure, while KJ/Kg measures energy per unit mass. Converting between these units allows us to compare and use them in different contexts.

4. Can I convert KPa to KJ/Kg for any substance?

Yes, the conversion factor of 0.01 is a universal constant and can be used to convert KPa to KJ/Kg for any substance. However, the resulting value may differ depending on the specific properties of the substance in question.

5. Are there any other units that can be added to KJ/Kg?

No, KJ/Kg is a specific unit that measures energy per unit mass and cannot be combined with other units. It is important to use the correct units for the specific measurement or calculation being performed.