Soccer ball rebouncing of the goal post

• Thread starter brundlfly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, The soccer ball has an average acceleration of -1515.15m/s^2 during the 3.3 ms contact with the goal post. However, this calculation does not take into account the change in velocity during the rebound. When considering the change in velocity, the average acceleration is actually much higher, around -121212.12m/s^2. This may seem like a large value, but it is due to the impulsive nature of the force acting on the ball during the rebound.
brundlfly

Homework Statement

A 420 g soccer ball traveling at 23 m/s hits the goal post and rebounds at 18 m/s. If the ball is in contact with the post for 3.3 ms, what is the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval?

Homework Equations

Here I used 23m/s as initial velocity v_i and 18m/s as the final velocity v_f, and t = 0.0033s as the time traveled.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used a_x = v_f - v_i / t, so 18-23/0.0033 which gave me -1515.15m/s^2, which in my opinion seems to be a whole lot. Then I noticed that I can't use the goal post contact time as time traveled. So I am trying to find the time the ball actually traveled from start to hit the post and from rebound to the stop of the ball. Given those values I am stuck finding out how to get the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah..you made a mistake..a=change in velocity/time taken
the direction of ball changes after rebound so change in velocity=(18-(-23))
And acceleration=(40)/0.0033
and also don't worry about the magnitude of acceleration.The force acting on the soccer will be impulsive(have very large value) so the acceleration will also be very high

1. How does the material of the goal post affect the rebound of a soccer ball?

The material of the goal post can greatly impact the rebound of a soccer ball. A softer material, such as wood, will absorb more of the energy from the impact, resulting in a lower rebound. A harder material, like metal, will have a higher rebound as it transfers more energy back to the ball.

2. What is the ideal angle for the goal post to maximize rebound of a soccer ball?

The ideal angle for the goal post to maximize rebound of a soccer ball is 90 degrees. At this angle, the ball will bounce directly back in the opposite direction with the same amount of energy as the impact.

3. Can the inflation of the soccer ball affect its rebound off the goal post?

Yes, the inflation of the soccer ball can affect its rebound off the goal post. An overinflated ball will have a higher rebound as it is more rigid and can transfer more energy. On the other hand, an underinflated ball will have a lower rebound as it is less rigid and will absorb more of the impact energy.

4. How does the weight of the soccer ball impact its rebound off the goal post?

The weight of the soccer ball can also affect its rebound off the goal post. A heavier ball will have a higher rebound as it has more mass to transfer energy back to the post. A lighter ball will have a lower rebound as it has less mass to transfer energy.

5. Is the rebound of a soccer ball off the goal post influenced by external factors, such as wind?

Yes, external factors like wind can influence the rebound of a soccer ball off the goal post. A strong wind can cause the ball to veer off course or change its trajectory, resulting in a different rebound off the post. Additionally, a tailwind can increase the speed of the ball, leading to a higher rebound.