Software Engineering or Computer Science degree?

In summary: However, either degree will get you a job in the industry.In summary, a computer science degree is more academically rigorous and will provide a better foundation for a career in software engineering, but either degree will get you a job in the industry.
Firedog89
I wanted to know which one was better for finding jobs and salary wise or are both pretty much the same. Computer Science or Software Engineering degree?

Also would anyone recommend getting the degree online?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your chances are much better getting started at a local community college and then going to a 4 year school. This is an established route. Gone are the days when you can waltz into a company, take an aptitude test and bingo you're hired as a programmer./software engineer.

I don't think today's companies will necessarily hire someone who learned everything online with no track record at an established school. Some companies might consider certification programs (like MS or Oracle certifications)so that might be one way but major ones will go for graduated students.

https://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=39

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/default.aspx

Here's something to read about software engineers tha may help answer your other question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_engineer

Sorry I think you misunderstood me. I wanted to know which degree was best to pursue... a computer science degree or a software engineering degree? Or are they both fundamentally the same.

I can't answer that question as I have a MS in Comp Sci awarded decades ago and I work as a software engineer.

When I think CS today, it can be very abstract and academic studying AI and search algorithms whereas software engineering is closer to the practice of developing robust software systems and flexible enduring software architectures.

Anyway read the wikipedia article about it.

Most jobs will probably be in the software engineering realm developing commercial applications whereas research oriented Google type jobs looking to get into the next big thing will employ computer science folks.

Other PF folks should chime in here too shortly so wait for their answers too. (@Borg)

Firedog89 said:
I wanted to know which degree was best to pursue... a computer science degree or a software engineering degree? Or are they both fundamentally the same.
They are not the same, but they do have the same set of foundational classes, like object-oriented programming, data structures, and computer organization/architecture. Beyond that, software engineering focuses more on teaching you how software is designed and built. Computer science is not usually concerned about such things. Instead, a student in CS would learn about networks, operating systems, artificial intelligence, algorithm analysis, compiler design, formal languages, computability theory, and perhaps a single course on software engineering. Either degree will provide you with an adequate education to get an entry level development job.

In my opinion, I think undergraduates are better served by pursuing a computer science degree. A software engineering degree makes more sense at the graduate level after the student has a year or two of work experience under his belt.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the difference between a Software Engineering and Computer Science degree?

A Software Engineering degree focuses on the practical application of computer science principles to develop and maintain software systems. It often involves courses in software design, coding, testing, and project management. On the other hand, a Computer Science degree is more theoretical and emphasizes the mathematical foundations of computing, algorithms, and programming languages.

2. What kind of job opportunities can I expect with a degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science?

Both degrees can lead to a variety of job opportunities in the technology industry, such as software engineers, web developers, data analysts, and systems analysts. However, a Software Engineering degree may be more suitable for roles that involve developing and maintaining software systems, while a Computer Science degree may be more suitable for roles that involve designing and implementing algorithms and data structures.

3. Is a degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science better for pursuing a career in artificial intelligence or machine learning?

Both degrees can provide a solid foundation for a career in artificial intelligence or machine learning. However, a Computer Science degree may be more beneficial as it covers topics such as data mining, machine learning algorithms, and artificial intelligence principles in more depth. A Software Engineering degree may also be suitable, depending on the specific courses and electives offered.

4. What skills can I expect to gain from a degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science?

Both degrees offer a range of technical skills such as programming, software development, and system design. However, a Software Engineering degree may also provide skills in project management, teamwork, and communication, as students are often required to work on group projects and collaborate with others to develop software systems.

5. Can I pursue a degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science if I have no prior programming experience?

It is possible to pursue a degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science without prior programming experience. However, it is important to have a strong interest in technology and be willing to put in the time and effort to learn programming languages and other technical skills. Many universities also offer introductory courses for students with no programming background to help them catch up with their peers.