Software packages for drawing schematics

In summary, OmniGraffle is a good tool for general drawing, LTspice is a good tool for simulating circuits, and AIBASE CS is a good tool for illustrator-like drawing.
serbring
Hi all,

for presentations/lectures and so on, I need to making drawings which make easier the comprehesion of the process I adopt for my research. Occasionaly, I draw flowcharts o something similar, which embed arrows, geometrical figures, plots (sometimes, I simplified a complex plots like https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Luisa_Di_Paola/publication/283320694/figure/fig7/AS:291711071866885@1446560747553/Clustering-partition-of-PA-CMG2-complex-A-clustering-color-map-the-length-of-the.png) other times, the drawings are fairly more complicated with some graphical elements. Sometimes, I also need to draw mechanical elements, like springs, dampers and so on. For publishing purposes, the final results is a vectorial graphic formats (i.e. PDF) and to this goal, I am using inkscape, that it is not the best element for this type of draws, even if it provides a lot of freedom. Do you have any tool you would reccomend for this kind of drawings?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I use OrCAD Capture for my work schematics (which you have to pay for), and I've used Visio for simple presentations in the past. A consultant friend of mine works with Eagle for schematics and PCB layout (I think there are free versions for simple schematics).

Here is an old PF thread about a free schematic design package at the distributor Digikey: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/new-free-schematic-drawing-tool-at-digikey.771458/

:smile:

Last edited:
Draftsight is a free CAD package that exports to PDF. It's a general purpose 2D CAD package designed for mechanical work, but can be used to make schematics. I don't know if there exists a source for predrawn components. If not, learn to use blocks and save them in a reference drawing. Draftsight is compatible with AutoCad.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
and I've used Visio for simple presentations in the past.

There are many ex-Visio users who lament its demise. Much like the Firefly TV show.

Thanks to all for the answers. I have tried some of the suggested free tools and I design is not that much free. There are many constraints. I think the best is to use a specific tool for each kind of scheme (like orcad general purposes, visio for flowcharts and so on) and then import the PDF to AI for the creative touch.

I have also found AIBASE CS, that really seems something in between illustrator and a CAD. It can even import vector images.

Last edited:
There are some free cloud services that also allow one to do schematic capture and layout all from a browser.
https://upverter.com/features/
Drawing circuits via cloud is not for me but some people I know like it.

To answer your questions: On OSX OmniGraffle is very good for general (non-CAD) drawing of systems, electrical, mechanical or control, etc.
https://www.omnigroup.com/omnigraffle/

What is a software package for drawing schematics?

A software package for drawing schematics is a computer program that allows users to create electronic or mechanical diagrams and models. These diagrams can include symbols, text, and other elements to represent a system or process.

What are the benefits of using a software package for drawing schematics?

Using a software package for drawing schematics offers several benefits, including increased efficiency and accuracy, easier collaboration with others, and the ability to save and share diagrams in various formats. It also often includes features such as templates and libraries of symbols to make the process quicker and more streamlined.

What are some popular software packages for drawing schematics?

Some popular software packages for drawing schematics include AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Altium Designer, and Eagle PCB Design. These programs offer a range of features and are commonly used in industries such as engineering, manufacturing, and electronics.

Can I use a software package for drawing schematics for free?

There are some software packages for drawing schematics that offer free versions or trials, but many require a paid license or subscription. It is important to research and compare options to find the best fit for your needs and budget.

Do I need any specific skills to use a software package for drawing schematics?

While having some basic computer skills and knowledge of technical drawing can be helpful, most software packages for drawing schematics are designed to be user-friendly and intuitive. Many also offer tutorials and support to help users get started and learn more advanced features.