Software to calculate simple commutator relation ?

In summary, the user is seeking software that can calculate simple commutator relations and preserve the Einstein summation convention. They have tried using a mathematica notebook but found it difficult to read the results. They are suggested to try using Cadabra, a software designed for simplifying commutators, but may need some help from the author or further study to handle a large number of commutators.
aspidistra
software to calculate simple commutator relation ??

Dear All:
I have hundred terms of commutators needs to be calculate. Each one looks like
[itex]
[{\epsilon_{i m}}^n\eta^m\frac{\partial}{\partial\eta^n},C\eta_j\eta^l\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta^l}]
[/itex] ,where C is function of [itex]\theta^i[/itex] and [itex]\eta^i[/itex].
The result of this commutator is
[itex]
{\epsilon_{im}}^n\eta_j\eta^m\frac{\partial C}{\partial\eta^n}\eta^l\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta^l}-C\epsilon_{ijm}\eta^m\eta^l\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta^l}+
C{\epsilon_{im}}^n\eta_j\eta^m\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta^n}
[/itex]
Is there any software can deal with this calculation and preserve the Einstein summation convention?
I have try to use a mathematica note book from http://www.commeare.net/2008/05/03/commutator-relations-in-mathematica/
to calculate the component of the commutator ie. take i=1 j=2 for example, but mathematica 's simplification rule make the result hardly to read.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

aspidistra said:
Dear All:
I have hundred terms of commutators needs to be calculate.
Is there any software can deal with this calculation and preserve the Einstein summation convention?

Cadabra might be of some help...

http://www.aei.mpg.de/~peekas/cadabra

One of the "sample notebooks" on the website shows how to
simplify some commutators using the example of the
Poincare algebra. But you'll probably need to study the
reference manual and other examples (and maybe get a bit
of help from Cadabra's author) if you've got hundreds of
commutators to deal with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for your inquiry about software for calculating simple commutator relations. There are several options available that can handle this type of calculation and preserve the Einstein summation convention. Mathematica, which you have already tried, is a popular choice for symbolic mathematical computations and has built-in functions for handling commutators. However, as you mentioned, its simplification rules may make the results difficult to read. Another option is Maple, which also has built-in functions for commutators and allows for customization of simplification rules. Additionally, there are specialized software packages such as the Quantum Mechanics Package for Mathematica or the QuTiP library for Python that are specifically designed for quantum mechanical calculations and can handle commutators. These packages may offer more advanced features and visualization tools for your calculations.
I hope this information is helpful and wish you success in your research.

Best regards,

1. What is a commutator relation in software?

A commutator relation in software refers to a mathematical relationship between two operators that represent different physical quantities. It is used to determine how the operators interact with each other when applied to a given mathematical expression.

2. How is a commutator relation calculated in software?

A commutator relation can be calculated in software using the standard commutation formula [A, B] = AB - BA, where A and B are the operators involved. This formula can be applied to any two operators, as long as they are compatible and represent different physical quantities.

3. What is the purpose of using software to calculate commutator relations?

The purpose of using software to calculate commutator relations is to simplify and automate the process of determining how operators interact with each other in mathematical expressions. This can save time and reduce the potential for human error in complex calculations.

4. Is there a specific software program for calculating commutator relations?

There are several software programs available for calculating commutator relations, such as Mathematica, MATLAB, and Maple. These programs have built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for performing mathematical operations on operators and determining commutator relations.

5. Can commutator relations be used in any field of science?

Yes, commutator relations can be used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are particularly useful in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory, but can also be applied to classical mechanics and other areas of study that involve mathematical operators.