1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software to graph a volume (solid) of revolution?

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am writing a paper on volumes of revolution. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any suitable programs to represent them graphically. (I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum.)

2. Relevant equations
    Graphing the volume of revolution of, say, [tex]\pi\int_{0}^{1}\left(x^{2}\right)^{2}\, dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using Gnuplot, but wasn't able to graph a volume of revolution.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You didn't say what you entered in Gnuplot as the equation to be graphed. For your problem, you want to graph the portion of the paraboloid z = x2 + y2 that is bounded by the planes z = 0 and z = 1.

4. Nov 27, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the response. I had tried to literally graph [tex] z=\pi\int_{0}^{1}\left(x^{2}\right)^{2}\, dx[/tex] ... but I hadn't realized that that is a constant. (doh!)

Anyway, after seeing the output from Gnuplot, I think I'll just eschew the use of graphs of volumes of revolution in my paper.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook