SoI'm dropping out, what should I do?

In summary: I'm sure there are ways to make it work.In summary, Cornea brings up the possibility of taking a break and then trying again, while Dave reminds the listener that they could have a valid reason for their failure and that seeking help from a doctor could help the situation. Cristo suggests that if the problem is mental, taking medication could help. All of the contributors offer advice on how to make the situation work or how to find a new school.
pivoxa15 said:
I was waiting for a comment. Actually this is my worst case scenario since I am studying non career focused subjects like pure maths and theoretical physics plus I am not a smart cookie and just hanging on in my subjects so it's good to know that there is a bottom floor I can fall into. The idea of staying at home and do maths and physics and other things that interest you without ever thinking about financial issues is not that bad.

That sounds terrible.

And how would one support one's parents?

What a waste of the greatness that is life that would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
J77 said:
That sounds terrible.

And how would one support one's parents?

What a waste of the greatness that is life that would be.

This scenario can only be applied to people who have parents that are capable of earning a stable income and live conservatively or frugally. The point is the parents do not need support and in turn have some left over for the child. But again to support a modest lifestyle in most cases.

pivoxa15 said:
This scenario can only be applied to people who have parents that are capable of earning a stable income and live conservatively or frugally. The point is the parents do not need support and in turn have some left over for the child. But again to support a modest lifestyle in most cases.
Ummm...

I think the point is that parents should not have to support their children for their whole lives, unless the children are truly physically or mentally unable to find a job - any job!

pivoxa15 said:
I was waiting for a comment. Actually this is my worst case scenario since I am studying non career focused subjects like pure maths and theoretical physics
In life, one needs to be realistic. Even if you like theoretical physics, making a career out of it is completely impossible unless you are a genius or very lucky. I think you are being very selfish here. You should be contributing to society. Go study solid state physics or engineering. THAT is what we need. Do you really want to pass your life as an unsuccesful theoretical physicist. Eventually, you will grow tired of it and you will regret not having chosen for a decent professional career. That's our basic human nature.

The "parents" stuff is just an illusion. You want to feel safe in every possible scenario, but, it ain't going to be like that. That is MY promise to YOU.

marlon

I agree with Marlon what you love now isn't what your going to like later once you find out you have no g/f or wife, nor kids, nor any friends because your the kid who stayed at home all his life. (if that's even possible)

That is also kinda freaky in my opinion. I've never heard of someone living their whole life with their parents, it just isn't right.

I had a lot of friends who were big into drugs or just hated school and I thought they would never leave the house. At least they joined the service and contributed to society.

I'm usually the person who says, Do what you love, but I never thought this as an option, it never occurred to me that people thought that way.

But again I come from a family who can barely support themselves let alone a child staying at home their whole lives. So I never had the mind set of being financially safe at home but rather, study hard so you don't end up in the same situation.

Last edited:
mr_coffee said:
I'm usually the person who says, Do what you love, but I never thought this as an option, it never occurred to me that people thought that way.
Lots of people think like that just "to feel safe". But it is an illusion since reality requires you to TAKE RESPONSABILITY ! One should get up, face life and enjoy it. One can do anything he/she wants to do but never forget that we are living in THE REAL WORLD and not some "personally idealised version" of it.

I agree, do what you love to do, but never forget that we are living in reaility. At least, the mentally sane are...

:wink:

marlon

Wow. Just WOW. I just got accepted to a decent grad school based on my credentials before this semester and they don't my current situation. I still haven't settled everything yet until the Spring-Summer intersession break is over.

I've kept myself sane by watching youtube videos and listening to internet radio all day.

Ok, that's all well and good, but you still need to graduate to go to grad school. Your grad school will more than likely require that your undergraduate institution send them an official notice that you've graduated.

pivoxa15 said:
I was waiting for a comment. Actually this is my worst case scenario since I am studying non career focused subjects like pure maths and theoretical physics plus I am not a smart cookie and just hanging on in my subjects so it's good to know that there is a bottom floor I can fall into. The idea of staying at home and do maths and physics and other things that interest you without ever thinking about financial issues is not that bad.

It really shouldn't be a consideration, no matter how abstract you field is...you still can get a job working fast food if need be.

What you are talking about is mooching...which is universally considered to not be a viable option for high school dropout or out-of-work physicist alike.

I would change your plans, saying you have trouble getting a job because of your choice of field or your grades, and so you have to mooch off your parents doesn't work. That previous statement is nothing more than an excuse to do nothing and be lazy, which is never acceptable anywhere, even if you would be happy doing it.

marlon said:
Lots of people think like that just "to feel safe". But it is an illusion since reality requires you to TAKE RESPONSABILITY ! One should get up, face life and enjoy it. One can do anything he/she wants to do but never forget that we are living in THE REAL WORLD and not some "personally idealised version" of it.

I agree, do what you love to do, but never forget that we are living in reaility. At least, the mentally sane are...

:wink:

marlon

It's 'good' to think that we live in a real world and we should take responsibility and all but if you think about it a bit more, you realize that you are not going to live forever and will die oneday. Just thinking about that makes me feel like everything is an illusion. Certainly when and after I die, which will come in a finite amount of time, everything to me will be an illusion by definition. If there was a possiblity that I could live forever than I will start to take more repsonsibility perhaps.

Living from the parents isn't all that unjustified. Honestly, I wish I was never born. So from this perspective some fault is already impinged on the parents and they can repay it back or break even with me if they provide a decent living for me for the rest of my life. Including giving me a decent inheritance after they die so that I can sustain myself after they die. Not having kids or partner is actually morally justified because given that I wish I was never born why would I produce a kid who might be like me and also wish they were never born? Also what kind of person would want to stay with a 'loser' like me? If I really cared for someone, I would actually recommand them not to be my partner for their own wellbeing and future.

You might call me selfish but at least I have been rational and have taken some moral high ground as well. However having said all that, I do realize that before I die, I am living in some sort of reality and biologically programmed to do and not do certain things so I will be trying hard to accomplish certain things like get a Phd and get an academic job if successful but always keeping in mind that there is a lowest level I can fall to which would not be 'wrong' if I am to be unsuccessful.

even if you are dropping out of where you currently go to college, what's wrong with community college and getting a job as a skilled person or start a small business? my neighbor owns a camera-security system company that he started himself and yet he's an immigrant and had to start from the ground up.

you could be a manager or a technician or even electrician or repairman. get a job that will always be in demand. factory workers can be outsourced or replaced over time but there will always be a need for people like government workers (IRS agents, social workers, policemen...) teachers, home repair, etc. we will always be in demand for those things. just because you aren't a computer programmer doesn't mean you won't find a job that's in demand

dropping out of college is not the end of the world. you could still do lots of things even after this. just take some time to explore the possibilities and get back out there

Last edited:
pivoxa15 said:
It's 'good' to think that we live in a real world and we should take responsibility and all but if you think about it a bit more, you realize that you are not going to live forever and will die oneday. Just thinking about that makes me feel like everything is an illusion. Certainly when and after I die, which will come in a finite amount of time, everything to me will be an illusion by definition. If there was a possiblity that I could live forever than I will start to take more repsonsibility perhaps.

Living from the parents isn't all that unjustified. Honestly, I wish I was never born. So from this perspective some fault is already impinged on the parents and they can repay it back or break even with me if they provide a decent living for me for the rest of my life. Including giving me a decent inheritance after they die so that I can sustain myself after they die. Not having kids or partner is actually morally justified because given that I wish I was never born why would I produce a kid who might be like me and also wish they were never born? Also what kind of person would want to stay with a 'loser' like me? If I really cared for someone, I would actually recommand them not to be my partner for their own wellbeing and future.

You might call me selfish but at least I have been rational and have taken some moral high ground as well. However having said all that, I do realize that before I die, I am living in some sort of reality and biologically programmed to do and not do certain things so I will be trying hard to accomplish certain things like get a Phd and get an academic job if successful but always keeping in mind that there is a lowest level I can fall to which would not be 'wrong' if I am to be unsuccessful.
It might've been better if you had just written off your original reply as sarcasm.

Thats kinda what I assumed it was when I read it. Hahaha.

No I am not trying to be sarcastic. The main point has always been that for me there is a lowest level which I can fall into and have infact informed my parents that. I do think that this level is not ideal as it's better to research and study maths or physics at an institution than at home. But I am not forced to do only career focused activities.

Your parents are too soft if they let you stay at home in your 20s.

Don't you think they deserve some time for themselves?

Your comments are edgy...

pivoxa15 said:
It's 'good' to think that we live in a real world and we should take responsibility

No, it is not good it is inevitable ! For YOU as well, you will see.

and all but if you think about it a bit more, you realize that you are not going to live forever and will die oneday. Just thinking about that makes me feel like everything is an illusion.

:rofl:

That's not an illusion but a fact, which is totally different.

Honestly, I wish I was never born.
Did you say this to your parents ? Hey, i wish i was never born but anyway i am going to live off your back like a parasite because most likely i will not succeed as a theoretical physicist ? Besides, if you want to be a theoretical physicist, you will need to travel alot. Maybe you will be doing a post doc (if you ever get there, which i doubt) abroad. This is very likely to happen you know.

Besides, the will to live is not a wish you can make, it is a privilege.

So from this perspective some fault is already impinged on the parents
Again, you being born is NOT your choice, therefore you cannot "want or not want" it.
and they can repay it back or break even with me if they provide a decent living for me for the rest of my life. Including giving me a decent inheritance after they die so that I can sustain myself after they die.
I suppose this is just a manifestation of ill conceived humor.

You might call me selfish but at least I have been rational and have taken some moral high ground as well.
Moral high ground ? You are just a parasite who does not have the guts to face life and take responsability. GROW UP !

marlon

It's 'good' to think that we live in a real world and we should take responsibility and all but if you think about it a bit more, you realize that you are not going to live forever and will die oneday

O...I didn't know you were one of those mortals. Yeah it must suck for you having a finite lifespan and all...The rest of us wouldn't know.:rofl:

Just because life ends doesn't mean its an illusion. Baseball games end, yet after watching one, I know it wasn't an illusion!

You have to come to terms with the fact that you only have so much time(You may say your came to terms with it already, but you didn't if your this downtrodden about it.) and then promise yourself you will do something with the time you got. It doesn't matter if you didn't want the time, you got it! Do something with it. Being a mooch is doing nothing, even if you happen to be doing math while mooching. That is not acceptable, no matter what spin you put on it.

anyone with even an ounce of either wit, skill, or determination that actually puts it to use will always have a way of getting more than minimum wage.

anyone with even an ounce of either wit, skill, or determination that actually puts it to use will always have a way of getting more than minimum wage.

Truer words are rarely spoken.

I'd also add that it's impossible to be homeless for any significant period of time in the US unless you choose to, are an absolute sluggard, or are truly disabled. It just doesn't have to be an option, especially if you have the brains to even dabble in physics at a university!

Alas, sometimes the smartest people are the most lazy, unfortunately.

It turns out I was fine and only have to complete this Fall semester to graduate. I just interpreted my grades and situation a little too seriously and at the possible worst case scenario. I just need to take one more class in additional to my required Fall classes. :)

Whether you do or do not have a degree, you can become successful if you are motivated, socially adjusted, and maybe a bit lucky.

Take my uncle for instance...dropped out of college, never got a degree. Started his "career" as an Arby's employee, and moved up into management. Now he owns a relatively successful restaurant, and has enough money to retire in his early 50s (though he won't, because he actually loves his job and its service). He had to work his ass off to get to where he is, but he did it...having the degree will probably make this road easier for the right person, but it also does not guarantee anything in itself.

fizziks said:
It turns out I was fine and only have to complete this Fall semester to graduate. I just interpreted my grades and situation a little too seriously and at the possible worst case scenario. I just need to take one more class in additional to my required Fall classes. :)

Glad to Hear it!