1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SoI'm dropping out, what should I do?

1. May 5, 2007 #1
    I'm pretty much done with college. I didn't get the required grades for some of my classes and now I have to drop out.

What should I do now? I can't go anywhere these days without a degree. Otherwise I'm stuck with a minimum wage job. I'm lost here.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2007 #2
    Take some time off and then try to continue again. What was the problem?

4. May 5, 2007 #3
    Corneo brings up a good point, is it possible for you to pinpoint the reason for your 'failure' (I don't mean it in a bad sense). Also, do you think that you would be able to correct it?

5. May 5, 2007 #4
    I'm having emotional and personal problems. I can't take time off and come back, because I already exceed the max number of credits at my school. This is a permanent kick, meaning the school ain't taking me back at all.

I did very well last semester but just completely went insane this semester which caused me to get kicked out....... forever.

6. May 5, 2007 #5
    Can you go to a technical or trade school, or something?

It's unpopular to say this, but a traditional degree is not for everyone.

First thing to do is get that out of your head. It's BS. Many of the people I know who make good bucks never got a degree. And many people with degrees are lazy bums who won't work unless they feel like they are being "valued" for there superlative gifts and superior status.

7. May 5, 2007 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Are they the kind that a doctor might be able to identify?

8. May 5, 2007 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As Dave says; go and see your doctor-- they can help with a lot more than just "medical" problems you know!

If you do have a valid reason, and seek help from your doctor, then I'm sure the school will be willing to overlook the fact that you have exceeded the number of credits if you provide a letter from your doctor.

This is all the more reason to go and speak to someone-- if your grades are very good one semester then drop massively to the extent that you fail in the next semester and you have a reason for this, backed up by your doctor, then the school will look on these as exceptional circumstances. After all, schools dont want to kick their students out!!

9. May 5, 2007 #8
    I agree with cristo, if your giving them money they will want you in there as long as possible.

Anything medical even depression will keep you safe because they can't kick out a student if there is a medical reason. So if you need a pill to solve your issue you'll be fine. I'm not sure if just saying your crazy will work though, you need proof. Not saying your crazy either :D

Anti depressants work well but the side effects aren't fun so look out for that if thats the issue.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  10. May 5, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And if the school you're currently attending won't take it into consideration, you can probably find another that will and transfer. If you did well in your first couple years, you could transfer over with advanced standing. If the problem has been ongoing and you've only just figured out what it is, you might have to start all over again, but if it's really what you want to do and you're able to correct whatever the problem was, then it seems worth it.

Or, as others have suggested, if you're really not able to handle the courses required for a college degree, learn a trade. There are plenty of technical schools that won't care if you couldn't handle a college degree program because you don't need it for what they teach. Or just take some community college courses, or get an associate's degree for starters. There are a lot of options as long as you have the motivation to go after them.

11. May 5, 2007 #10
    Just to echo many others, go to the doctor and get a note. If your school doesn't let you in after that, go elsewhere. But only go if you feel better! Don't fall into the same hole and mess up at another school. Since you've had good grades before, you can handle the work. Even if your current major was kicking your behind grades-wise, choose an interesting yet "easier," major for you. If you feel stressed and lost, go to a community college for a semester, get good grades, and transfer somewhere. You have a lot of options still; failing out is not the end of your life. One day when this is all behind you, it will be a great success story. Good luck, see a doctor, and try and de-stress a bit.

12. May 5, 2007 #11
    I've been looking around at MS certifications. I think it would get me straight into the IT world and build my way up from there. But I still think companies would rather hire new people with a bachelor/master's degrees.

What do you guys think? Should I try out for a community/technical school or just get a certification? I was a physics major going for a graduate computer engineering/computer science degree.

13. May 6, 2007 #12
    Honestly I would transfer to another school, keep your job, and take maybe 2 classes max a semester, work on the certs and take it slow. In time you will have a degree. Its better to have the degree in your back pocket than to not have it, but it is not necessary.

14. May 6, 2007 #13
    I don't know what your situation is or even where you live but how about the idea of living in your parent's home for the rest of your life and get them to support you. But that is only if your parents have a stable income. After they die, just live off the money in their bank account. But that will mean you can't support a family of your own and most likely single all your life. At least you will survive this way and not have to worry about too much financial worries.

15. May 6, 2007 #14
    I used to have this idea of College Dean's being Wirmer(sp?)-type fascists... turns out alot of them are really very sympathetic to students. Get the medical note and talk directly to your dean. Exceptions can and are made frequently

16. May 6, 2007 #15
    If your looking to get into IT, make sure you go to a school that has a good job placement program. It can be a tough field to break into if you don't have experience or a degree. Good luck.

17. May 6, 2007 #16
    So, I've did some searching for jobs that don't required a 4-year degree... Just can't find any besides blue collar work that even middle school dropouts can get. It feels like I would stoop to a level of a high school graduate or even dropout which is pathetic in my family and my standards. This whole weekend has been a state of severe depression. I can't believe I sat around doing nothing for the past 2 days (Well, the whole campus was closed because it's the first summer break).

I've already spent 4 years in college and was only a semester away from graduating, now it's all over. I can't continue 2 or more years in another school. I've just lost the motivation to just keep going on like that and interest in my hobbies....

The hardest thing to do is telling this news to my parents.

18. May 6, 2007 #17
    Consult your doctor... it's your best move now.

19. May 6, 2007 #18
    why not go to school part and get a part time job? those 'blue collar' jobs can be the fun if your a fun person, office jobs can't compare. the most fun job i ever had was working at a gas station.

20. May 6, 2007 #19
    no man, don't give up fizziks. I know I haven't experienced what you are going through, but good things happen to people who try!

I've met obstacles when I first came to America. I was living in PA in the district that has the second WORST high school in town. In that school, Algebra one and ESL 2 were classes for "smart" people. I lived in that district for two months wondering why the heck I even came to America. I knew little English, had no friends and everything seemed so dull and pointless.

Eventually, my parents moved (to a much better district) and I tried really really hard to catch up. Eventually, I ended up with a couple APs and straight As when I graduate.

Fizziks, just hang on there! it's never to late to finish what you've started! don't worry about how everyone else is doing or how other people think of you. (screw everyone). you are "YOU". look at your past and see what you've accomplished, are you just going to give up and let it go? NO!!!

talk to your professor, or anybody you know. Ask for another chance, or go to another college, or even a community college, or get a job. If you are persistence enough and are willing to give whatever it takes to accomplish your goal, nobody can stop you!

21. May 7, 2007 #20
    I'd say cut your losses, work a "blue collar" job for a while, and try going back to school again in a year or so at a community college closer to home. There's no point in remaining at a school if it just makes you agitated or depressed being there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?