1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solar energy collector formula

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    I'm stuck on a formula I'm using to design a solar water heater at uni (and no, I'm not a physics student, otherwise I'd probably be kicking myself its such a stupid question) and I understand the theory behind it, I just can't work out what the Qs stands for.

^T=Qs / mC

where ^T= change in water temp,
    m= water flow rate in m/kg,
    and C= specific heat of the water

I've tried rearranging the formula but it was never my strong point at A level, and the Qs appears to be representing energy, but of what I'm not sure.

Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Q = mc[itex]\Delta[/itex]T, where Q would heat (thermal energy/enthalpy), m = mass, c = specific heat, and [itex]\Delta[/itex]T = differential temperature.

Perhaps in ^T=Qs / mC

Q = energy flux (energy/ unit area) and s = surface area, so that Qs = energy.
  4. Jan 26, 2006 #3
    Thank you!!

Now I feel a bit stupid, I knew Q=mc^T from my Physics a couple of years ago, but didnt even see it in this one:rolleyes:

Thanks again for pointing it out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?