1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy transfer in solar panels

1. Sep 1, 2013 #1
    Compound A has an albedo value (visible spectrum) of 0.08, and an emissivity (infrared) of 0.08.
    Compound B has an albedo value of 0.04 and an emissivity of 0.88, in the same spectrums.

We need to explain why A is more effective at transferring energy to the water flowing behind it, when used as a coating on a solar panel.

So far, I've determined that (imagining the incident sunlight is, say, 1000W)...

- B reaches a higher temperature when at thermal equilibirum
    - B reflects 40W, absorbs 960W, and thus emits 960W at thermal equilibirum
    - A reflects 80W, absorbs 920W, and thus emits 920W at thermal equilbirum

So B is both at a higher temp (and thus has a higher transfer of energy by Newton's law of cooling) and it's also emitting 960W, as opposed to 920W for A.
    So everything seems to be pointing to B as a more effective energy transferrer.
    Where am I going wrong?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2013 #2
    This is falling quickly off the front page so I'm going to be petulent and bump it.
    Didn't post any formulas because alfredo/reflectivity and emissivity are pretty much just ratios.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted