Solar pool heating via a dark screen -- On the surface or submerged?

In summary: Have you tried any Google searching on this?I'm not 100% sure what the best solution is...I use a bubble wrap cover.I have not done any Google searching, but I would recommend looking into bubble wrap covers. They are very effective at preventing heat loss and are also very light and easy to move around.
mmk8283
TL;DR Summary
Looking for input on either floating or sinking a large sheet of dark screen for solar absorption in a pool
Summary: Looking for input on either floating or sinking a large sheet of dark screen for solar absorption in a pool

Looking for input on either floating or sinking a large sheet of dark screen for solar heat absorption in a pool. My though its that screen would be very user friendly to roll up when using the pool, and also cost effective. My question is if there is a trade off between the gain in solar heat absorption vs. creating artificial shade in the water column if the screen was to be on the surface. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Part of effectively heating a pool with solar energy (via pool covers) is to limit the amount of heat given up to the air. Can you see how a porous screen will not do a very good job of that whether floating or submerged?

Likes russ_watters and mmk8283
I understand that the screen will not prevent the natural rise and dissipation of heat to the surface. But won't it still gather more solar heat vs. having nothing at all? Thanks for your help and input!

Yeah, it's probably better than nothing. Kind of like having the bottom of the pool painted black, but who wants a pool with a black bottom? o0)

But better still would be to just buy or make traditional covers, I think. Or use a non-porous fabric that sits on or just below the surface.

Have you tried any Google searching on this? I'm not 100% sure what the best solution is...

I use a bubble wrap cover. Here's why it works:

Something like 90% of the heat loss in a pool is from evaporation. A floating blanket stops this. Very effective.

The transparent cover let's sunlight right through to heat the pool water directly. (While a black cloth will absorb sunlight, it will only transfer via conduction to the topmost layer.)

It floats.
It's super light.

51eHzKZZBVL.jpg

• Informative
Likes krater, Rive, berkeman and 3 others
DaveC426913 said:
The transparent cover let's sunlight right through to heat the pool water directly.
And since water is transparent almost only in the visible spectrum, the good type of cover will produce a very good greenhouse effect too.
Or, at least something similar 😉

DaveC426913 said:
Something like 90% of the heat loss in a pool is from evaporation. A floating blanket stops this. Very effective.
That is correct and very important.
Float the cover so as to reduce evaporative cooling.

What is solar pool heating via a dark screen?

Solar pool heating via a dark screen is a method of using a dark-colored screen or mat to absorb sunlight and transfer the heat to the pool water, thereby raising its temperature.

How does solar pool heating via a dark screen work?

The dark screen or mat is placed on the surface of the pool or submerged in the water. As sunlight hits the dark surface, it is absorbed and converted into heat. This heat is then transferred to the pool water, raising its temperature.

What are the benefits of using solar pool heating via a dark screen?

Using a dark screen for solar pool heating is a cost-effective and environmentally friendly way to warm up your pool water. It also extends your swimming season and reduces the need for other heating methods, saving you money in the long run.

Can solar pool heating via a dark screen be used in all climates?

Solar pool heating via a dark screen works best in sunny and warm climates. However, it can still be effective in cooler climates as long as there is enough sunlight to heat the screen and transfer the heat to the pool water.

Is solar pool heating via a dark screen easy to install and maintain?

Yes, solar pool heating via a dark screen is relatively easy to install and requires minimal maintenance. The screen or mat should be cleaned regularly to ensure maximum efficiency, and it may need to be replaced every few years.