1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solenoid Magnetic Field Problem

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    A solenoid of lenght 45 cm has 340 turns of radius 2.2 cm. A tightly wound coil with 16 turns of radius 4.4 cm is at the center of the solenoid. The axes of the coil and solenoid coincide. Find the emf induced in the coil if the current in the solenoid varies according to I=4.6sin(50∏t)A.

Answer: __________cos(50∏t) mV

Comments:
    I can't seem to find the correct answer for the magnetic field of the solenoid.
    The formula I use is:
    B=0.5μ0nI(sinθ2-sinθ1)
    The area to use for all equations is the area of the solenoid since it is the area of magnetic field lines felt by the coil.
    The flux, denoted ∅ is: ∅=BAcosσ and σ=0o, therefore ∅=BA
    and the EMF=-N(d∅/dt)=-NA(dB/dt)

I really appreciate any help, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2
    B on the axis and at the centre of a 'long' solenoid is given by B = [itex]\mu[/itex][itex]_{o}[/itex]nI where n = number of turns/length of solenoid.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  4. Nov 26, 2011 #3
    Assuming the solenoid is long an using that formula, my answer is wrong. Is there anything missing to the comments I added for solving this problem?

5. Nov 26, 2011 #4
    Can you show the working for dB/dt?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook