Solid Mechanics questions - A new challenge

In summary, the conversation is about a challenge homework assignment in Solid Mechanics. The assignment involves solving three questions and those who solve correctly will have their names read out loud in the next lecture. The first question involves finding E'1111 and the solution does not require the use of trigonometry. The speaker is unsure of how to express E'1111 and there is a discussion about whether it is equal to E1111. The second question is proving to be challenging for all students.
dislect
Solid Mechanics questions - A new challenge :)

Hi all :wink:

I got 3 new questions that need to be solved in about 3-4 days as part of a 'challenge' homework. Those who solve correctly will basically get their names read out loud on the next lecture but I do it to understand the material of the course

First Question:

http://up185.siz.co.il/up3/n2i5uwddmczo.jpg

I first tried to write all that I think that has to do with the questions, expressions that I learned and think that I'll use.
Then I thought of first expressing E1111 but then I figured there's no need to.
How do I express E'1111 ? do I use the last formula (transition formula) first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The solution doesn't involve any sines or cosines (or trigonometry at all). It's hard to say more without giving the "Aha!" away.

My thoughts are that I should find E1111 and then E'1111 will be equal to E1111 since the stiffness matrice E does not change from one system to another (?)

Agreed, because the material is isotropic.

Thanks!
Now for the more challenging part:

3ejyngnz22mw.jpg

I haven't met any student in my semseter that managed to get any progress in that question yet.

help, anyone ?

1. What is Solid Mechanics?

Solid Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the behavior of solid materials under the influence of external forces. It involves the analysis of stress, strain, and deformation in solid objects.

2. What are the main applications of Solid Mechanics?

Solid Mechanics has a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, materials science, and biomechanics. It is used to design and analyze structures, machines, and components to ensure their safety and reliability.

3. What are the basic principles of Solid Mechanics?

The basic principles of Solid Mechanics include the study of equilibrium, stress and strain, deformation, and failure of solid materials. These principles are based on the laws of physics and mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law.

4. What are the challenges in Solid Mechanics?

Solid Mechanics involves complex mathematical models and equations to analyze the behavior of materials. It also requires experimental data and advanced computational methods to accurately predict the response of materials to external forces. Additionally, the behavior of materials can vary under different conditions, making it a challenging field of study.

5. How is Solid Mechanics related to other fields of science?

Solid Mechanics is closely related to other branches of science such as materials science, physics, and mathematics. It provides a foundation for understanding the mechanical behavior of materials, which is essential in the design and optimization of structures and machines. It also overlaps with other fields such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromechanics in the study of complex systems.