1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid Mechanics questions - A new challenge

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    Solid Mechanics questions - A new challenge :)

Hi all :wink:

I got 3 new questions that need to be solved in about 3-4 days as part of a 'challenge' homework. Those who solve correctly will basically get their names read out loud on the next lecture but I do it to understand the material of the course

First Question:

http://up185.siz.co.il/up3/n2i5uwddmczo.jpg [Broken]

I first tried to write all that I think that has to do with the questions, expressions that I learned and think that I'll use.
    Then I thought of first expressing E1111 but then I figured there's no need to.
    How do I express E'1111 ? do I use the last formula (transition formula) first?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Solid Mechanics questions - A new challenge :)

The solution doesn't involve any sines or cosines (or trigonometry at all). It's hard to say more without giving the "Aha!" away.

4. Nov 22, 2009 #3

My thoughts are that I should find E1111 and then E'1111 will be equal to E1111 since the stiffness matrice E does not change from one system to another (?)

5. Nov 22, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Agreed, because the material is isotropic.

6. Nov 22, 2009 #5

Thanks!
    Now for the more challenging part:

3ejyngnz22mw.jpg

I havent met any student in my semseter that managed to get any progress in that question yet.

7. Nov 23, 2009 #6

help, anyone ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook