1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid mechanics thermal stress of infinite cylinder

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My problem is to calculate the Thermal stress of a Cylindric shell with inner radius a and outer radius b the inner surface is experiencing Temperature T1 and the outer surface is experiencing T2 with T1>T2 assuming that the linear thermal expansion coefficient is a, the Young modulus E and that the heat gradient within the shell is linear how to obtain the thermal stress (S) induced by these conditions?

2. Relevant equations
    Thermal stress as given by most sources I could find, no equation given in the problem
    S=Ea (T1-T2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to solve the problem with the equation above however I am hesitant to if it is right or not

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2011 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Taexzyn: The final answer is listed in some text books, usually without showing the derivation. Most people just copy the final answer out of a text book, without knowing how it was derived. I would say, almost no one knows how to derive it. Do you just need to copy the final answer out of a text book? Or do you need to also copy a derivation out of a text book? Or instead, do you need to be able to derive it yourself, from only fundamental principles already in your own mind?

I briefly tried to derive it myself, and currently got stuck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook