Solid State Physics - Modes of Oscillation of Atom

The determinant should be set equal to 0 to find solutions. "1 is the unit matrix" means that it is a matrix with all 1s except for the diagonal elements which are 1. "RR is the diadic formed from the unit vectors R=R/R" means that RR is the matrix formed by multiplying the unit vectors R by themselves. For more information on matrices, you can refer to this link: https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/matrix-introduction.htmlIn summary, the question is asking how to construct a 3x3 matrix from a 12 element series for equation 22.97 and how to interpret the notation in equation 22.98. The determinant should be set to 0 to
MightyDogg

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-10_14-9-42.png
[/B]
upload_2016-5-10_14-8-55.png

My question is more about the math of the problem. For equation 22.97, how do I construct a 3x3 matrix from a 12 element series? After constructing the matrix should I set the determinant equal to 0 where I will find the determinant has 3 solutions (2 being degenerate)? Also, under 22.98, what does "1 is the unit matrix ((1)uv=diracdelta_uv), and RR is the diadic formed from the unit vectors R=R/R..." mean?
I've never taken linear algebra before so I am unsure how to go from series to matrix, but I know the basics of how to solve them. If it would be easier feel free to send me a link on relevant information regarding matrices.

I don't need much help, but I would appreciate a push in the right direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-10_14-8-45.png
    upload_2016-5-10_14-8-45.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
Your unit cell is monoatomic, so this atom has only 3 degrees of freedom, hence you get a 3x3 matrix. However, this atom interacts with 12 neighbours. This determines the form of the matrix elements, but not its dimension.

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties of solids, such as metals, semiconductors, and insulators. It involves understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in solids and how they interact with each other to give rise to various properties, such as conductivity, magnetism, and thermal properties.

2. What are modes of oscillation in atoms?

Modes of oscillation in atoms refer to the different ways in which atoms can vibrate or oscillate within a solid. These vibrations can be in the form of acoustic or optical modes, which are determined by the type of crystal lattice and the nature of the bonding between atoms.

3. How do these modes of oscillation affect the properties of solids?

The modes of oscillation in atoms play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of solids. For example, the frequency and amplitude of these vibrations can affect the electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and mechanical properties of a solid material.

4. What is the significance of studying modes of oscillation in solid state physics?

Studying modes of oscillation in solid state physics helps us understand the fundamental behavior of atoms in solids and how they contribute to the macroscopic properties of materials. This knowledge is essential for developing new materials with specific properties for various applications, such as electronics, energy storage, and medicine.

5. What are some real-world applications of solid state physics and modes of oscillation in atoms?

Solid state physics and the study of modes of oscillation have many practical applications in technology and industry. Some examples include the development of semiconductors for electronic devices, the creation of new materials for energy storage and conversion, and the use of atomic vibrations as a probe for studying the structure of materials.