1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid State Physics prerequisites

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    Hey there,

What would you say the prerequisites are for learning Solid State Physics? Both mathematics wise and physics wise.

Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2
    Depending on the level of the course, you definitely want a good background in quantum mechanics and all the mathematics that entails. Being up to speed on Fourier series/transforms is good, and knowing some group theory would be useful later on.

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3
    In addition to what dipole mentioned, it would be useful to have basic knowledge of statistical mechanics.

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4
    Thank you guys! Good help :)

6. Mar 20, 2013 #5
    I am currently taking Solid State Physics and agree with everything the previous commenters said. In addition, at least a semester of Classical Mechanics (at Lagrangian and Hamiltonian level) is a wonderful idea. I had to brush up on mine when I reached the phonons part.

7. Mar 21, 2013 #6
    Ah yes, I was wondering about the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. I'll look up on that also! Thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook