Solution needed : Kinematics problem

In summary: Thanks for pointing that out! In summary, to determine the speed of the second ball in order for it to meet the first ball at a height of h/2, we can use the fact that both balls will have traveled a distance of h/2 and set the average velocities equal to each other. This leads to the conclusion that the initial velocity of the second ball must be equal to the acceleration due to gravity multiplied by the time it takes for the balls to pass each other.
dawoodvora

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from rest from a height h above the ground. Another ball is thrown vertically upward from the ground at the instant the first ball is released. Determine the speed of the second ball if the two balls are to meet at a height h/2 above the ground.

Variables for Ball 1 going downward
v1i = initial velocity of ball1
v1f = final velocity of ball1

Variables for Ball 2 going downward
v2i = initial velocity of ball2
v2f = final velocity of ball2

t = time taken for both the balls to travel common meeting point
a = -9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

4 general kinematic equations in one dimension having constant acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

Logically, the final velocity of ball 1, when it reaches h/2, must also be the value of the initial velocity of ball2 going upward. Also, ball2 final velocity at h/2 must be zero. In this way, both the balls can meet each other at h/2

I am still unable to arrive at the figure of initial speed of ball2.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general way of doing this sort of problem is to
(a) First find the time it takes for the balls to pass each other by using the kinematic equation for the ball that is released from height h.
(b) Second use the same kinematic equation and the time you found in (a) to find the initial velocity for the ball that is projected up.
This method will allow you to solve the problem regardless of the fraction of h at which the two balls pass each other.

In this specific case, since you know that the speeds of the balls are the same when they pass each other, you can use the kinematic equation that does not involve time directly.

EDIT: Disregard all of the below, see next post!

You're making innecessary assumptions here. The second ball's velocity needn't necessarily be zero at h/2. Since we're only dealing with one dimension here, there is only one possible initial speed of ball 2 that can allow it to hit ball 1 at h/2.

The two variables which will be equal for both balls when they hit is that they will both have traveled a distance of h/2. However one ball's displacement will be negative to the other as one ball is traveling down and one ball is traveling up.

You're looking to find the initial velocity of the second ball such that the distance traveled by the second ball against gravity equals the distance fallen by the second ball with gravity over the same time period.

Last edited:
Seannation said:
You're making innecessary assumptions here. The second ball's velocity needn't necessarily be zero at h/2.
If the balls meet halfway up, then the second ball's velocity is zero when they pass each other. This will not be the case if they met at some other fraction of h.

Proof
Let tf = the time the balls meet. The average velocity for ball A is
[tex]\bar{v}_A=gt_f/2[/tex]
The average velocity for ball B is
[tex]\bar{v}_B=(v_0+v_0-gt_f)/2=v_0-gt_f/2[/tex]
where v0 is what we are looking for.
Since the balls cover equal distances in time tf, their average velocities must be the same.

[tex]gt_{f}/2=v_0-gt_f/2\ \rightarrow[/tex] [tex]v_0=gt_f[/tex]

Therefore the velocity of ball B at any time t is given by
[tex]v=gt_{f}-gt[/tex]

At specific time t = tf, ball B has zero velocity. Q.E.D.

You make a very good point! I somehow got it in my head that the second ball would be traveling at high speed when it hit the first. But as you've proved, it can't have a non-zero velocity if it happens at h/2.

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects over time.

2. What is a Kinematics problem?

A Kinematics problem is a physics problem that involves using the principles of kinematics to analyze the motion of an object. This typically includes identifying known and unknown variables, creating and solving equations, and interpreting the results to answer the given question.

3. How do I approach solving a Kinematics problem?

The first step in solving a Kinematics problem is to identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use the appropriate equations and principles of kinematics to create and solve equations. It is important to pay attention to units and use consistent units throughout the problem. Finally, interpret the results to answer the given question.

4. What are some common equations used in Kinematics problems?

Some common equations used in Kinematics problems include:

• Velocity = Displacement / Time
  • Acceleration = Change in Velocity / Time
  • Displacement = Initial Velocity * Time + (1/2) * Acceleration * Time2
  • Final Velocity = Initial Velocity + Acceleration * Time
  • Distance = (Initial Velocity + Final Velocity)/2 * Time

5. How can I check if my solution to a Kinematics problem is correct?

One way to check if your solution to a Kinematics problem is correct is to use the equations to calculate a different variable and see if it matches the given value. You can also use real-life examples or simulations to visualize the motion and see if it aligns with your solution.