Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution of differential equation with Dirac Delta

1. Jul 8, 2014 #1
    Is it possible to solve a differential equation of the following form?

$$\partial_x^2y + \delta(x) \partial_x y + y= 0$$

where ##\delta(x)## is the dirac delta function. I need the solution for periodic boundary conditions from ##-\pi## to ##\pi##.

I've realised that I can solve this for some types of boundary conditions. What i'd be really interested in is how to do this for periodic boundary conditions...

Technically, if I approach the problem by splitting the regions ##x<0## and ##x>0## and solve in each part separately, I can solve it and get linear equations in both regions. This will give me ##4## variables. Periodicity, and periodicity of the derivative will give me 2 equations. Continuity at ##x=0## will give me one more. How do i relate the derivative around the ##x=0## interface?

I guess I should make my actual problem a bit clearer as well. I'm basically interested in some technique by which I can get the information for the change in derivative of the function around the delta function.

A little background: If there was no delta function, but rather say some gaussian approximation, I would be expect to be able to solve it, but I don't see why I can't get the information of the derivative around ##x=0## when i put in a dirac delta function. My actual problem is reasonably more complicated but this is the quickest simple example I could reduce my problem to. If I try to integrate in an epsilon region around ##0##, then I end up with an expression in ##y^\prime(0)##, which isn't defined.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2014 #2
    Have you tried using a Fourier transform?

4. Aug 23, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook